First engine?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

websterz

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have been hanging out here for several months now, and am mightily impressed with the quality of work you all turn out. I am a self-described "advanced machinist", having spent several years running lathes, mills, drills, and grinders for some guy who signed my paycheck. Well, he decided that 90% of his employees didn't need jobs anymore and he laid us all off back in February. Way to watch out for your faithful flunkies, eh? Oh well, water and bridges and all that.

Shortly before the hammer dropped I set myself up a small shop out back, 7x12 lathe, x2 mill, and a 6x18 G&L surface grinder. I have busied myself these past few months tweaking and improving my equipment, making various tooling and fixtures that I need for my gunsmithing hobby, and am now ready to do something just for the fun of it. It's time for me to build my first engine. I have steady enough hands but the eyes aren't what they used to be. Therefore some tiny little thing built on a thimble is probably not the best idea for me to tackle, not yet anyway. What's a good first engine for someone with time to kill and a decent skillset in the shop? I am looking for a challenge but I don't want to be banging my head against the wall. ;)

Todd

Brian Rupinow's beam engine is a nice option, and if you build it at 1.5x scale as I did the parts are a nice size. The plans are available on this site, as is my build log.

I'll vote for either of Brian's sets of plans. If you already have some experience either of them will be good. The drawings, plans, photos on his posts and 3d views of the parts are great. Plus you can post your progress and questions here as you go and get advise. All for free! How can it get any better?

Black85vette---Thanks for the endorsement. I get a kick out of all the folks who are building from my plans. Wife and I went for a drive today, and when we got home there was a phone message from somebody in St. Joseph, Missouri asking me about the beam engine plans. He said his daughter had found my name and some?? of my plans on the internet, somewhere. ---Brian

Latest posts

Back