First engine finally done - Upshur Twin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatiR

Reaction score
Hello everyone – first post here after lurking for some time. Finally got my first engine done after buying a Sherline lathe and mill a couple of years ago. It was built from plans in Model Engine Builder magazine and seemed like a good first time project to learn how to use a lathe and mill, especially with such excellent drawings. I haven’t run it yet even though I got ignition stuff a long time ago – real life has been rather busy. Got a Hoglet about 75% done but the rather large cast iron cylinders are not doable on my Sherline. I have access to an old 9” South Bend so hope to get on to those soon. Great group to learn a lot about model engines, especially for a newbie - thanks to all for the good reads.

Regards, Mati

UpshurTwin1.jpg

UphsurTwin2.jpg

Thats a nice looking engine. Good job sir!

When you get it running, we need a video ;D

Got any pictures of the parts you have done on the Hoglet? That engine really interests me.

Eric

Your FIRST engine?
blink.gif

Absolutely Beautiful!

That is one beautiful engine. Excellent job! ;D

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks for the kind words. Yep, first engine, but I thought that if I was going to learn anything, I needed a challenge. Now if I can get it running...

I'll be glad to post pics of the Hoglet so far but it will have to wait a few day as I don't have my camera here now. The crankcase, flywheel/crankshaft/kickstarter assembly/couple of valves/some miscellaneous little bits are done. The cylinder heads are about 90% but the holdup is the cylinders as they are too big for my lathe. Will post as a soon as I can.

AWESOME engine Matii! What skill & patience you have! :eek:

Now you need to build a scale model BMW motorsickle to put it in and then train a pet monkey to ride it.;)

Super Job!!! I'd like to see the Hoglet also:O)

Wes

Nice job on a first time engine. I'd also like to see pics of the Hoglet. Also have subscribtion to Model Engine Builder. How many other's do?

I want to build that engine someday and put it in an airboat. Wishful thinking right now. 8)

Bernd

Just down right fantastic for a first engine especially on a Sherline. Nothing against Sherline (had mill and lathe) but I can tell you are not a novice!!!
Great job!!!
Julian G.

Great Job on the Upshur Twin! I'm sure it will run great. My Upshur Vertical runs very good. I've been up to 7 1/2 hrs contstant idle operation. Too bad I forgot to add more fuel to the tank.

Frank

Back