First engine build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattB

Reaction score
I finally got started on an engine after thinking about it for over 2 years. I'm basing it on the Little Machine Shop engine, but with some changes to use some materials and tooling I already had. This means it is a strange mixture of metric and imperial measurment. Basically the layout is imperial because the milling machine is imperial but all the holes and shafts are metric as all my drill bits and measuring tools (and my mind) are metric.

The first thing I started on was the main support plate, squared up and some holes drilled

Main support drilled by mattbowns, on Flickr

Then it went in the four jaw to open the main bearing bore up. This will have an extra beaing carrier in it as I had some small bearings I wanted to use

Reaming the main bearing bore by mattbowns, on Flickr

Then I made a small bush to adapt the hub of the flywheel. My choice of flywheel is a little unusual but all will become clear later

Flywheel by mattbowns, on Flickr

This allowed me to calculate the dimensions of the crankshaft, so I started on my version of the crank wheel. It's made from 1mm stainless sheet and will be silver soldered to the crankshaft. Just a couple of holes first, I will shape it once it is soldered to the crankshaft.

Crankshaft by mattbowns, on Flickr

Then the crankshaft

Crankshaft by mattbowns, on Flickr

So now I only have to make the piston, crank pin, cyclinder and a few other small parts and then make it look a bit nicer. I already know I will have a couple of questions but I'll wait until I can put pictures up to help explain

I'm not sure when I'll get to do more work on it but I'll post as soon as I have

Matt

Way to start!
Your flywheel seems like a brushless can, i`m right?
Small generator engine?

Norberto

It is indeed, out of a PC hard drive. I plan to use the hard drive discs as the flywheel and hopefully mount it back onto the hard drive chassis to make it look like a hard drive from one side and an engine from the other.

that's the plan anyway

Matt

That's a cool idea! Sounds "steampunk" in nature.

steam·punk  [steem-puhngk]
noun
a subgenre of science fiction and fantasy featuring advanced machines and other technology based on steam power of the 19th century and taking place in a recognizable historical period or a fantasy world.

Latest posts

Back