First Engine. A successful Sterling engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOC123

Reaction score
Dear All
I purchased a 9x20 lathe to make parts to use on my telescope but decided to try to make an engine as practice. I bought a kit of bar stock with plans and the result was a little sterling engine.
I am not an engineer but a medico so this has been quite a learning process.
Some images are below.
build_1.jpg

This is turning the central block from a cylinder of aluminium.
build_2.jpg

Milling the pillar on the lathe using a little end mill from a dremel tool.
build_3.jpg

making the piston shaft.
build_5.jpg

the finished engine.

Also I have a video of the little engine going here.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=296Fr_dfdlo[/ame]

Cheers

Terry

Congratulations Doc :bow: :bow:

Now your hooked.

Psst......how are my new heart valves coming along ??? :-X

Welcome. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Nice Sterling Terry. Lets see some telescope parts when you've made them.

Vic.

They look like nice little kits those. Well done, especially doing a stirling for your first engine project! :bow:

Nick

Well done Doc....what do you have in mind now for your second engine ?

Bill

A stirling for the 1st engine. And a fine looking and running one at that. :bow:

Congratulations,

Great job on your engine!

Omnimill said:
Nice Sterling Terry. Lets see some telescope parts when you've made them.

Vic.
Thanks all.
The telescope parts I've made are pretty boring so far. An example is below. It is used to accurately attach a camera to the scope.
adaptor1.jpg

adaptor2.jpg

Nice work well done
I would love to have a go at that engine myself could you tell me where you got the plans from.
Thanks
:bow: Rob......

Hi Terry,great job,keep up the good work and if your ever over at Coffs Harbour Give me a call and come and check out my workshop.

Regards Ian

robwilk said:
Nice work well done
I would love to have a go at that engine myself could you tell me where you got the plans from.
Thanks
:bow: Rob......
The kit came from here
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/A1-3-Stirlin...U_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Kits&hash=item3f02ac95bd
It has a book of quite good drawings. The kit is complete except for screws. I needed to buy the cap headed screws etc separately.
The aluminium and brass pistons and the hot chamber for it come prefab but the rest is all bar stock. I found the brass piston wasn't quite round and it didn't seal well enough in the cylinder that I had made. This meant that the engine wouldn't run. I made a duplicate one out of bronze that sealed better and now it works.
The other modification I made was to the brass stand under the flywheel. The kit comes with a sheet of brass about 1mm thick. The plan tells you to bend this to 90deg to attach it to the base. I stuffed this up so got another piece of flat brass as the vertical part of the stand and screwed a length of ~8mm square brass to the base of it. I then could attach the square brass to the ally plate under the engine.

Back