First efforts of a UK newbie

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With steel I had trouble getting a good surface finish until I started using Tapmatic cutting fluid instead of WD40 or whatever oil; started using the tailstock center to support the work (too much overhang and deflection) and used this lathe tool to remove the last two or three thou of metal;

http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/VerticalShearBit.html

Easy to make and works great on steels of unknown heritage....

Cheers Garry

Hi Garry,

Welcome to the Tapmatic Club. I use both 'all metals except Alum'' and 'Alum only' with good results and finishing. Parting with a sharp cutter and dobs of Tapmatic has not given me any tool breakages. I use parting blades from LMS.

Bought China equivalent oil for steel cutting. Results quite good. Tapmatic Oil
is very expensive. I use a small brush to dob tool and job.

That's a nice one Barry ,I wouldn't mind making one myself
Don

Had to do it Barry made one over the weekend,it's in finished projects ,a good choice for someone starting out. Don

Nice looking engine - well done :)

Just from personal experience, Tapmatic is blinding on ally, but I don't rate it for steel at all. For me Rocol does an infinitely better job. And brass? Bone dry with zero rake inserts, or if you take care and go gently, positive rake carbide.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Barry I think that one is going to be my next project I've got my new mill coming this week so I will be able to use that a bit as well. I'm getting really confused about cutting oil Rivergypsy you're not helping, what's Rocol???
I hope to have the wobbler finished by the end of the week I hope it runs but if it doesn't I'll just carry on with lessons learnt and try again.

Thanks RG I've got some on the way from Amazon £25.

Rigged up air to the wobbler today and to my shear joy it ran. It needed a spin with my fingers to get it going and it only runs for a few seconds before stopping but it runs, i'm more than delighted.

Reactions: gus
Congrats on getting it to run. I'm sure with a little tweaking you'll improve it's run time. I'm reasonably sure (99.9%) that wobblers aren't self starting so you will need to give it a flick to get it to go. Enjoy the moment, you'll never forget the feeling of your first runner!

Reactions: gus
Hi Swesson,
Very well crafted and runs well.
Must be very happy with your first running engine.:)
We share your joy.

Congratulations and glad to see your enjoying yourself.Its a pleasure to hear from newbies
especially when things go wrong as they do,and you bounce back in undaunted
O the the joys of youth.Keep up with your never say die i can only improve attitude
Regards barry

Congratulations and glad to see your enjoying yourself.Its a pleasure to hear from newbies
especially when things go wrong as they do,and you bounce back in undaunted
O the the joys of youth.Keep up with your never say die i can only improve attitude
Regards barry

"Youth" thanks Barry you've made my day I'm 42. I know that's not really old but I haven't be referred to in that way for quite a while.
Thanks everyone for their positive comments.

I don't know if youll like it but I use 1 part cutting oil and 2 parts wd40 and does a nice job for me and I like wd40 on my machines it is a water displacement and keeps my machines from rusting my shed is not heated.

Latest posts

Back