First contribution

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimw

Reaction score
Hi, I joined this group a couple of years ago, by way of accessing the expertise of you guys. I am a machinist by trade, but haven't actually practised that trade much since finishing an apprenticeship to John Heine & Sons in the early 1960s. Now I have retired I have set up a little workshop in the garage with a lathe (Proxxon 400) and a Mill/Drill plus various hand tools. I have successfully completed three Stuart steam engines over the last 18 months, a Sirius, a 10H and a 10V. I didn't make a reversing mechanism for the 10s, and decided to use them both to power a 1.1M R/C scale tug boat. Since neither engine is self-starting, I connected them to a common output shaft via a simple gearbox I made, at 90 degrees out of phase, so they are now self-starting. I have another gearbox from the R/C model truck industry which gives me forward, neutral and reverse. Altogether it adds up to a suitable power plant for the tug. Much more work to do, but so far, so good.

Images. Apologies for the mediocre image quality. The videos are better :)

IMG_0414.jpg

photo.jpg

Back