First attempt

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13AL

Reaction score
This is my first attempt, built from McCabes "45" plans, I turned this into a "90". Idles slow and has a distinct exhaust pop, makes you want to close your eyes or turn away and just listen, so turn up your volume!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP4i6Y8uV4I[/ame]

A wonderful engine you have made there, a perfect choice for a first engine.

Getting it running so well must inspire you to carry on making.

Well done

John

Cool.. I like how that design uses a bolt at the bottom to avoid some of the fiddling involved with trying to hold the edge of the cylinder. Flipping it vertical makes it look nice and symmetrical.

Cool engine 13Al. And with my chemistry background I've got to believe there's a connection between Al (aluminum) being the 13th element in the periodic table and your sign on :big:

Cheers,
Phil

Nice engine! I love the sound. Any idea how you got the exhaust to pop like that?

Chuck

Far better than mine AL, I will have to strive to get to there soon so I don't look like too much of a novice! ;D

Thanks for the great comments.
John- You are inspirational to say the least, I do have a second engine about 3/4 complete and a third planned.

Shred- all done for simplicity, it needed to be quick and easy to keep my attention, it's got my attention now!

Deere_x475guy- I ran this for an hour or so when i finished it, 200 hours? I wondered how many hours were on some of these engines, could be a good topic to bring up?

Philjoe5- You got me!

Cfellows- I Don't know?? the air pressure tended to push the cylinder away from the tower causing it to "float" with a hissing sound as it ran, I installed a heavyer spring and it became very efficient, I guess the timing would cause the nice exhaust sound?

Rake- Thanks!

Divided he ad- uh...I think you might have that backwards?? how can you compare your beautiful machine work to my hack-sawed bar stock?
;)

13AL said:
This is my first attempt, built from McCabes "45" plans, I turned this into a "90". Idles slow and has a distinct exhaust pop, makes you want to close your eyes or turn away and just listen, so turn up your volume!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP4i6Y8uV4I

Nice job, I would recommend the McCabes "45" as a first engine for anyone. I made one in a vertical configuration too.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqr75TpbRIo[/ame]

Well AL, I started and finished my comparison on the fact yours worked!! Mine was just a little pretty!! :big:

Just posted the pics of the second comming ...(work in progress) re-make with a few handy tips from Bogstandard... We shalll see if this one fairs better, bout a week till I'll be able to finish mock up... still trying to re-build my house too!!

Good luck with your next one :)

Ralph.

Tattoomike68- great first engine to build for sure, yours looks like a great runner.

Brass_machine- thanks! ;D

Devided he ad- :bow: ;)

13AL

Latest posts

Back