Fire watch

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wareagle

Reaction score
Reading some of the other topics about having things catch on fire while welding, cutting, or grinding made me realize a habit that I have had for so long that I really don't even think about it anymore, it has simply become an automatic reaction. Safety is one of the things that if practiced regularly, it just becomes second nature.

So, anytime I perform any of the above "hot" tasks, I will leave myself at least thirty minutes of time afterward before leaving the shop. If I have someplace to be, I will cease the operations with the margin of time left prior to departing or will just postpone the work for a later time.

Usually I spend the time cleaning up, planning the next sequence, or do another "non-hot" task while I am out there. The reason for the extra time after performing any "hot" task is to make sure that there isn't a rag, towel, or other flamable object that is smoldering before I leave the area. More than once, though not often, I have found something that could have created a not so desired surprise afterward.

Learn from the mistakes of others; you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself!

Back