File format differences

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearcar1

Reaction score
Gentlemen, my question is about the different file formats used. This stems from some recent downloads I made of engine plans. Some of the files are in .DWG format and some of them are in the .DXF format that I know some of you use in the different CAD programs. I do not use CAD (yet :-\) but can view these same files using ADOBE Illustrator. I am wanting to convert these files to .PDF files and my question is this: will the conversion omit any said advantage (other than the CAD aspect) in viewing and printing these files. Currently I have no CAD programs so those features are unavailable to me. Please advise. Thank You.

BC1
Jim

I doubt you'll lose anything by doing what you're suggesting. If they look OK on the screen it should be a what you see is what you get situation. At times proprietary line fonts, and text fonts will not be displayed correctly because the software can't interpret them and will substitute defaults which may have unexpected results. This is more of a problem when such things are intentionally used for conveying information. I doubt there will be much if any of this in model engine drawings.

Adobe generally takes other file formats including DOC and JPG, and wraps a postscript shell around them (don't quote me on that, but so I have heard) so that the file can be displayed in the PDF format.

As long at you can plot/print the drawings at the correct scale, then PDF files are good, and more standard also as far as others being able to easily veiw them.

I generally convert drawings to PDF format when I want to publish them, and especially if I don't want others to modify the drawing. You do have to make sure your plot scale is correct, and I generally include a graphic scale to verify this.

Hope this helps.

Jim,

DWG / DXF vievers and converters can be download for free from Autodesk.
< www.autodesk.com >
You might try vieving the file through them, then printing to a PDF file (if Your sistem supports that option).

HTH
Marcello

Bearcar---Download the free 2D software Draftsite. It is very good, very powerfull, and will do anything Autocad 14 will do. I have used it as a trial software, and I highly recomend it.----Brian

The question that Jim asked was:

"will the conversion (to PDF format) omit any said advantage (other than the CAD aspect) in viewing and printing these files."

I think the answer is "no, not as long as you plot/print the PDF to the correct scale".

Thanks to all that responded and yes, my concerns were geared toward converting .DXF or .DWG file drawings to .PDF format for printing and viewing purposes. Would any of the line drawing be lost by doing so. That is are there any features of CAD that are imbedded that would be lost doing this. And Brian; i did DL that program and wouldn't you now it we do not have the latest OS10 and the machine wll not support that OS either. it is truly Hell getting old. :mad: :-[ :p

BC1
Jim

The problems I described exist in CAD software just the same. If you don't have the exact text or line fonts, they will be substituted. Again, this shouldn't be an issue unless the drafter decided to get creative.

Scaling wouldn't be an issue to me, as I'd be working to the dimensions. However, if you are going to use the print to scale from, or for a pattern of some sort, scale is going to be important. At that point you might as well take the time to calibrate your printer and verify it's printing to scale.

Thanks Greg, I understand about the different fonts not being carried over but got it set in my noggin' somehow that the .DXF/.DWG files were layered in such a way that if they were xferred into .PDFs, critical 'drawings' (layers) would be lost. I've been on a kick recently to go through my archives and have found that I have several folders containing both types of files and when I view them, they appear to be the same document only in a different format, if that is the case then I can proceed to get rid of duplicate files and turn the remaining files into .PDFs that I am familiar with. As I mentioned before I do not run CAD and am most likely not going to be in the near future so I won't be making any changes to existing drawing files and will only be printing .PDFs. I've past the point of software support for this older MAC and have no intentions at this time of getting the latest and greatest due to cost so I have to make due with what is on hand and hope that works. Maybe I'll try to convince my friend to trade me a Big Blue laptop that runs newer software packages and I can come out from underneath this rock I'm living under. :big:

Thanks again everyone

BC1
Jim

Brian Rupnow said:
Bearcar---Download the free 2D software Draftsite. It is very good, very powerfull, and will do anything Autocad 14 will do. I have used it as a trial software, and I highly recomend it.----Brian
But, it will not run on the Mac at the present time. I believe they are revising it currently, however, our copy now crashes.

Just some quick comments:

First, there are online conversion sites which will convert DWG and DXF files to PDF. Just do a quick search and you will find a bunch. I'm not making a recommendation here because I have not researched this enough to make a judgement call.

Second, for those of you are are taking the time to make drawings available - many thanks. I've done a few of these myself so I appreciate the level of effort required. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but for those of you are are creating drawings in CAD, it would be extra nice if you would take a bit more time and convert your drawings to PDF as well (this would also ensure best font fidelity).

Latest posts

Back