Feed nuts

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillybilly

Reaction score
My TS(imperial) mill is due for some maintenace shortly ,i am considering new feed nuts as the current ones are well worn .

Oppinons invited regards,

Shall i invest in the taps and material and make my own feed nuts ?

Invest in the taps and machine out some eng plastic and load the feed nut with a spring to take up the slack ?the nuts could be a little far gone for this .

Take out the nuts and get a local eng company CNC the hole lot up to fit the feed screw ??

Or another plan ........................................

Cheers
Will

You might consider looking into the following:
http://www.moglice.com/
Seems like I saw in one of the machinery forums where they were putting this stuff into the nuts, it forms to the screw and wears well. A side effect was that backlash was reduced to almost nothing. I believe it was pretty spendy.
If you do a search on "Moglice" you may find some articles on how to use it, I haven't.
Worth a look...
MikeR C

do they not have adjusting screws to take up the slack? this may be a rediculas idea but could you pour a babbit nut? i dont see any reason why not, works good for bearings.

chillybilly said:
My TS(imperial) mill is due for some maintenace shortly ,i am considering new feed nuts as the current ones are well worn .

Oppinons invited regards,

Shall i invest in the taps and material and make my own feed nuts ?

Invest in the taps and machine out some eng plastic and load the feed nut with a spring to take up the slack ?the nuts could be a little far gone for this .

Take out the nuts and get a local eng company CNC the hole lot up to fit the feed screw ??

Or another plan ........................................

Cheers
Will
\
Hi, It might be worth checking out fignoggle .com there is a good article on anti- backlash nuts and construction , for a different machine but same principles and they used different materials.
coldte

Thanks lads,

Some great thoughts on my issue ,the nuts are a bit far gone i think to put a mechanical adjustment into them but "repouring" them with some kind of product might be a good plan ,will have too see whats available here in the UK ,keep em coming .............

Will

Latest posts

Back