Fabulous Freebee Day

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Many of the people around the area know that I have a lathe and a mill, and will generally do a small job if asked nicely for free. I am not over-ran with people wanting free work done, in fact, it's nice to have people drop by for the company they give. You can't walk into my office/shop without seeing model steam and i.c. engines setting on every shelf, bookcase, desk corner---I'm over ran by the damned things. Everyone always comments, admires, and gets to see a "test run" of the engine of their choice if I am not pressed for time. Today a fellow stopped by with something he thought I might be able to use. This is something that has been around his fathers farm as long as he can remember. It appears to be a 50 pound weight of solid brass. It is about 7 1/2" tall, 6" wide, and has "50" stamped on the top of it. I gave it a scrape on top with a file, and yep, it looks like solid brass. Baby, there's a LOT of trim pieces and flywheels in that chunk!!! I've no idea how much money it's worth, but based on what I have to pay at my local metal supplier, I could probably trade it, straight up, for a small island in the Caribbean!!!

Well, you can be sure that nobody is going to run away with it.

Jim

Hi Brian

Looks like a weight from an old style weighing machine, does it have lead plugs in the underside to calibrate it? Very nice find I see a lot of flywheels

Dave

Nice score.

In days of old brass was an acceptable material for sealers (Weights and measures Officers) test weight. I personalty have never seen a brass 50 .
These days the only allowable material for test weight in the US is cast Iron or Stainless steel for F class weight and stainless for the class 1 and 0 .

You have a kind friend a scap dealer would likely give around $250 for that. And i expect more as an antique shop.
And A piece of 6" 360 brass from McMaster carr 6" long would cost $475

Well, you can be sure that nobody is going to run away with it.

Jim You do not know me very well. We scale mechanic types grab a 50 in each hand and climb stairs. In my younger days Ii moved a #250 anvil buy myself from the car to the garage.
So with permission i would grab and run.

Tin

Nice score.

Jim You do not know me very well. We scale mechanic types grab a 50 in each hand and climb stairs. In my younger days Ii moved a #250 anvil buy myself from the car to the garage.
So with permission i would grab and run.

Tin

Sorry Tin, I underestimated you. And I suppose you lifted the anvil onto a tree trunk that you had dragged in for the purpose. (grin here if I could figure out how to insert it).

Jim

Back