Extreme edge of Lo-Tech

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I went to clean up my pig dirty lathe this morning, which is covered in cast iron chips and dust from my recent engine build. First thing to do is vacuum up all the stuff I can access. Second step is to use a chip rake to pull all the crap out from under the lathe so I can clean it up too. But wait---I don't have a chip rake!! However--I have a piece of 14 gauge stainless scrap, and a piece of 1/4" threaded rod, and a length of dowel---Why heck--I can make one in five minutes. So here we have it, without even making a 3D model and drawing. Ta-Da--My newest tool.---a chip rake.
5vkKRB.jpg

Happiness is--a clean lathe. Well, at least a much cleaner lathe than it has been for the last month. Iron dust is bad ju-ju for lathes and for mills, but if I had to stop and clean it after every machining operation I'd never get anything done.
IPRCsd.jpg

-My newest tool.---a chip rake.
5vkKRB.jpg

Brian,
I make my life a little simpler.:fan:
I put a BIG magnet in a ziplock bag that's upside down
then i go all over my mill or lathe. When the bag is full........
I flip the bag in its proper way seal it and TADA.
all my chip are trap in a ziplock...... and nothing on my magnet :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Back