Exhibitionist ??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
Greeting all :

And now I a have your attention and before anyone's mind slips into the gutter let me explain. I am wondering if there is a good handful of HMEM folk that would be interested in a bit of friendly head to head competition in full public view. This board is about helping others especially those getting started in the hobby. One of the biggest obstacles for folks is the seemingly overwhelming task of setting up a home machine shop. There has been some discussion about building model engines with hand tools only or adding a drill press in the mix. IMHO there are way to few examples of such engines for folks to see and be motivated. I also feel that in this modern age of mass production the average Joe or Jane on the Street considers the use of hand tools to lost or black art. Certainly not something they would consider possible.

I am in brainstorm mode but here are my thoughts. A head to head competition build of an engine at the Cabin fever show.
I am thinking 4- 6 teams 2 people per team . One to do the building and the second person to video tape and otherwise document the build step by step. The assistant could also help fetch tools talk with the public, monitor safety , help clean up etc. etc.

This of course would be a primarily had tool build. Each team would bring a small tool kit.

I am thinking each team would need :
Bench vise
bench pin
Hack saw
Jewelers saw
Assorted files
file brush
Micrometer
calipers square
Layout tools
Center punch
Fat marker.
Abrasive paper
Torch for silver soldering
fire extinguisher.
Proper PPE
Safety shield for front of work area.
Etc
The rules may possibly allow for a electric hand drill to use as a primitive lathe.

Then a shared drill press , bench grinder, maybe a drill doctor a pickle pot and other items as needed.

I am thinking 8 hour blitz build. Each team would be handed a sealed package with all the build materials needed, and a set of prints and go at it all packs as identical as possible.
The purpose of this build would to get the public interested in the hobby. I would encourage teams to be creative and bring tools that have been purchased used or were handed down from dad. and shop built items are encouraged as well. Think boot strap shop.We want to instill a can do lets try this attitude in the public. And above all this should be fun .
I have one idea for an engine.

Input guys what do you think?? . Cabin Fever is about 6 months away. If we want to do this a decision needs to be made . Sponsors for prizes need to be contacted , news releases written, rules written and re written etc.
Ideas and thoughts guys. Can we do it?? And if you have not figured it out by now I am thinking of myself as a coordinator of this not part of the competition.
Tin Falcon

Tin

Sounds like fun. I'm not ready to commit to the competition but its interesting. What kind of engine are you proposing? Another approach might be to have participants design their own engine within certain parameters and come with materials cut only to rough length.

Good idea.

Jerry

Interesting concept, Tin. Kind of like Junkyard Wars! (aka Scrap Heap, for our Brit cousins)

Our rocketry club does something similar a couple times a year with local Boy/Girl Scout troops. The scouts provide adult supervision and cough up some money for rocket kits, motors and CA glue, we provide fin jigs, expertise and launch equipment. A typical group is about 40-50 kids and we will launch 140+ rockets, so the kids get to fly 2 or 3 times. The kids typically take about an hour to build then the fun begins.

Another is a year-long national competition involving local high schools and is sponsored by NASA. The kids are given a goal and some prerequisites. Regional winners go on to national competition, the national winning team gets a sizable cash scholarship. The goals are pretty tough to meet, the first year was a two-stage rocket, payload of two raw eggs and a recording altimeter. The goal was closest to 1500 feet altitude with recovery of both eggs intact. The actual design and construction is up to the students. Again, our club provides expertise and launch facilities. Obviously this is much more advanced than working with the Scouts. The students very often get rather dramatic lessons in physics and aerodynamics!

Can we do it? Sure, it can be done. Some questions and details need to be worked out beforehand though.

The goal needs to be defined, in this case I think it's pretty obvious: demonstrate a successful engine can be built using simple hand tools available at any Big Box Store using off-the-shelf materials.

Who are your participants you had in mind? Experienced builders demonstrating engines being built? Or someone with no experience who has only used a hammer and screwdriver and wants to give it a try? Getting "ordinary" people involved, doing something they've never done, very often leads to greater participation in the long run.

If taking people "off the street" are you going to have people preregister or sign up on the fly?
Who provides the tools? The registrants? The facilitator?
Perhaps the team consists of a newbie off the street mentored by an experienced builder.

Obviously the design should be simple: a rocker, wobbler, EZ or McCabe Runner. Maybe each team builds a different one to demonstrate the diversity of engines that can be built with basic tools.

The idea of doing machine shop work as fast as possible doesn't appeal to me much; the idea is to do quality work, and presumably in such an event the participants should be able to take time to talk to spectators about what they are doing.

The general concept though, of a "real-time build" at Cabin Fever certainly has possibilities.

I'd totally avoid the "man off the street" idea. Even a single small injury could have serious repercussions, both to the sponsor and the Cabin Fever show. Cabin Fever would probably require a release from any liability, even if seasoned machinists are the stars.

Steve

Don't give them a kit of materials and a set of plans. Do it along the lines of "Junkyard Wars". Give them a task to complete and a bunch of raw material. An example task might be something like: Build an engine-powered mechanism that can blow out a candle held at a distance of one foot.

IOW, make the design of the mechanism part of the competition. This makes it less of a speed competition since ingenuity can often be used to defeat speed.

If you're going to convince the public that engines can be built with readily available hand tools, you need to lose tools like a micrometer and a bench grinder. While they're easily bought, they aren't going to be found in the typical garage/basement. Tools like a Dremel and a hand drill are OK but even a drill press is a bit of a stretch.

Somehow you'll need a commentator to explain to the public what each team is doing. Otherwise the public is just watching a bunch of guys sawing and filing. Yawn.

What you're suggesting is a huge undertaking that will take a lot of very careful planning to produce something that's simultaneously doable and entertaining.

I'd totally avoid the "man off the street" idea. Even a single small injury could have serious repercussions, both to the sponsor and the Cabin Fever show. Cabin Fever would probably require a release from any liability, even if seasoned machinists are the stars.

Steve
Steve :You are absolutely correct. I am not proposing putting any kind of novice in a hands on pressure build. Safety would be stressed. To protect the exhibitors and spectators. As far As live demos it has been done at CF I have seen guys running pedal powered lathes as well as cnc demos. and the woodcutters getting kids involved.

Can we do it? Sure, it can be done. Some questions and details need to be worked out beforehand though.
You are absolutely correct the pre-planning will make it or break it.

Obviously the design should be simple: a rocker, wobbler, EZ or McCabe Runner. Maybe each team builds a different one to demonstrate the diversity of engines that can be built with basic tools.

The other option would be to do this as a demo not a competition .

The goal needs to be defined, in this case I think it's pretty obvious: demonstrate a successful engine can be built using simple hand tools available at any Big Box Store using off-the-shelf materials.
I think that sums it up nicely.
And if we just did a demo them I could consider being part of team.

Somehow you'll need a commentator to explain to the public what each team is doing. Otherwise the public is just watching a bunch of guys sawing and filing. Yawn.
You are right Marv someone probably from each team should be available to engage the public and explain what is going,answer questions and hand out leaflets with the info of what is happening what is needed to build an engine etc.

Tin

You've also got to consider that it's rather a short show and time will become the great enemy. No fun for anyone if the project isn't finished before about noon on Sunday, when the packing has already begun.

Steve

Steve my original thought was 12 hour build time and be done by noon on Sunday but I think a Saturday build Has some advantages. I want folks to enjoy the show. If we are behind a booth all day Saturday and Sunday there is not wander shopping time.
8 hours realty limits things in it's own way so more prep time needed. We could also allow for relief members so folks do not feel stuck all day.
I am leaning more towards the mufti engine demonstration concept. This would allow each team to preselect plans and pre- cut materials and select and bring fasteners etc. We do need to be honest with time. TV has a way of condensing 60 hours of work into a 1 hour show. Also having parts at various stage of finish side by side would help folks understand the process.
Tin

Latest posts

Back