Energy needed for wire winding

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JRPT

This is my first post, sorry because I don't know if this is the place to ask this kind of questions. Besides I feel I'm taking advantatge...

I've Googled with all the search terms I can think of, but nothing turns up. I'm trying to design a wire drawing bench. A very simple one consisting basically of a die bracket and a pulling drum, for iron wires of up to 3 mm diameter.

I need to know the energy that would be used in the winding of the wire around the pulling drum, which I think might be quite high. It should depend on the drum diameter and the wire strength basically.

Thanks for your time and sorry for my english.

JRPT

firstly

G'day and Welcome to the Forum

as to your wire it depends on the metal your using

steel i heat witha old kerosene torch ( pump up pressure kind)

i have the reel of wire one end of a bench the torch set to heat a 6-8" length of the wire before it hits the mandrel or die ( terms stuff me about) and a reel on the other side of the mandrel or die with a handle i can manually turn

aluminium i do without heat but take smaller goes at

copper i heat but use less heat

if your using 1020 wire about 15'lbs of pressure for a 0.25 mm dia reduction with the heat is enough

without the heat its a good hard battle maybe 40-60 lbs pressure needed

hope this helps mate

an your english is fine ( probably better than mine )

cheers

jack

JRPT,

Welcome to our forum
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Hi all, i am new on the forum, been trying to catch up on the previous posts (Very nice work).

Back to the question!

I used to work in a electrical cable manufacturing, we would draw copper cable from 10mm/0.393" down to as low as 1.2mm/0.047", this was done via a series of Tungsten Carbide die and capstan winches, this was cold drawn, then and before it went on the bobbin, annealing was done via electricity.

The same for aluminium, in both cases, plenty of coolant was used.

As for steel, much the same process was used except the annealing was done through the process and the dies used where in smaller increments to each other, unlike the copper and aluminium which due to the malleable nature, bigger steps down could be taken.

As for the drawing strength needed, like the previous poster, it all depends on the size/material being used.

Mutley,

Welcome to our forum
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back