• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

EN8 080M40

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewinpopayan

Reaction score
I had a "slight" overbuy of this and I have quite a few 10" lengths of it, it's 30mm diameter. Stuff cuts as easy as cheese with HSS tools and gives a fine finish. It can be hardened / treated quite easily. I used it to make clutch hub and sprocket pullers for my Triumph bike.

Open to offers / exchanges. Location here is West Yorkshire.

Andrewinpopayan said:
Open to offers / exchanges. Location here is West Yorkshire.

As it happens .......... ::) ............... I seem to have bought a few bits of Titanium ............. around about 21/2" diameter by 7/8" thick ............ and Geographically it seems we ain't too far away from each other if you fancy a trade ;) ............... I'm in Wakefield if it's of any interest.

CC

Oh ................. apparently it's .............. Ti 6AL4V

Hi Andrewp.

"I used it to make clutch hub and sprocket pullers for my Triumph bike."

Not Pre-Unit is it?

Somewhere I've got a set of Cam Gear Pullers for them.

No Bike to match.

Any use to You ??

Belper-Derbyshire-

Dave

Hi again everyone. Been a little busy due to work, but things eased off a bit now. Trying to get a few days ahead so I can have a week or so off . Heres an example of the end product, it's a clutch hub puller for a unit 350, I havent got around to hardening it off, it seems to work OK as it is. Replaced the threaded rod with an M10 bolt and it certainly pops the centre off it's taper. The thread on the nose of the puller is 1" dia X 32TPI
imag1012.jpg

I can't think of a use for Titanium bar stock, most exotic metal that I use is Al Bronze or Gunmetal which I get from the local metal recycler (scrapyard), most appear to be chucking pieces from machine shops.

I'll settle for £1 a piece plus ACTUAL cheapo 2nd class postage (no fleabay rates here). I have something like 25-30 pieces.

Dave the pullers you have are worth a few bob, I would put them up on fleabay, especially fleabay US or AUS as they don't have any over there. As I remember they have an internal LH thread. I have seen them go for $80 US each, best if you know what model number they fit or the tools actual part number. Better still, make some copies and sell them, keep the originals as working patterns.

Hi Andrew

Tks for information. I would have to find the b-gg-ers first.

Know they fit a 1961[?] Trophy 'cos that's what I had them for.

Two off. One for Camshafts, the other for Crankshaft gear, if I remember right. Long time ago :(

I'm in VMCC so I may put them in there, too posh for colonials I think ;D ;D

Dave

Andrewinpopayan said:
can't think of a use for Titanium bar stock

Exotic Flywheels ;D

No worries Andrew ........ the "price was right" so I bought a few bits, no shortage of paperweights here anyway 8)

I'll be happy to take 5 lengths off you, plenty for the rest of the gang then, ......... if you would be good enough to pm me either a "snail mail" addy for a cheque or Paypal details I'll send you some cash.

Thanks,

CC

Bluechip said:
Hi Andrew

Tks for information. I would have to find the b-gg-ers first.

Know they fit a 1961[?] Trophy 'cos that's what I had them for.

Two off. One for Camshafts, the other for Crankshaft gear, if I remember right. Long time ago :(

I'm in VMCC so I may put them in there, too posh for colonials I think ;D ;D

Dave

There are lots of these tools in the UK from closed down dealerships etc, but the colonials have never had access to tools, now they all have the bikes to upkeep and they're stuffed without the tools. ;D

Even something as simple as a pair of BSA A7/10 pushrod combs gets a lot of bids.

I bought my minlathe for making "one-off" bushes and bearings for Britbikes, things like a PB bush for a casing where the original has turned or a standard one is a sloppy fit in the hole.
So far I have made a piston for an oil pressure relief valve, an expanding mandrel for pulling bushes out of blind holes. Next was a rear wheel axle bolt, for this I just bought a S/H oversized Japanese axle bolt and used the metal from it. (I wasn't sure what grade of steel to use from scratch).

Titanium, will have I ever run across the stuff in daily life? I can't think of anything made from it in common use.

For Us guys in the US, at last for me , what is < EN8 080M40 >
Hilmar

Andrewinpopayan said:
expanding mandrel for pulling bushes out of blind holes.

Hi Andrew

Bike bits are why I bought my first Myford [ ML7/T ] in 1971.

You don't use the 'Grease Method' for bushes then ?

Just stuff some grease in the bottom of the hole, insert a close fitting round bar in the hole, and smite bar with vigour.
Bush jumps up bar, usually on the 2nd. / 3rd. bash, grease covers face :big:

Works even if bush is tight to bottom of housing. Bush is not marked, so re-useable if OK.

Dave

EDIT I've wandered a bit off-thread, --- Moderator - stick it elsewhere if reqd.

Ah, the grease method. It works IF the bush has not got it's teeth "well in", the blind back piece is not a press fitted piece of "unobtainium" or has a thin back, then the grease pressure pops the blinding bit out the back and gives "deep $hit" sysndrome. ::)
The expanding stepped puller is great for a "1 size" only job. It works like a rawlanchor but only the bottom couple of millimetres have an expanding step, really the same as the old expanding plug setup used on bicycle steering sets of old.

I use a couple of foot of threaded rod with a weight to act as a pulling slidehammer. I will have to connect the scanner and use "Crap-o-Cad", the trouble is there isn't much room in the cupboard under the stairs where "I live" :big:

Sorry Hilmar, I missed answering you and thanks SDL for answering. That is the same chart I used for selecting the steel in the first place. BS970 080M40 is a *very* easily machinable free cutting steel thats pretty useful in the normalised state, however a bit of heat treatment brings out it's true nature as a steel used for axles, shafts, bolts, tensile stuff. Maybe Kasenite would make the outside skin *really* hard and with a suitable finish be useful for running in plain PB bearings ?

Anyway it's the real Mc Coy, bought from Pullman steels in Sowerby bridge. The puller was cut and threaded using blank 1/8" HSS home ground tools (freehand ) :eek: .

Bluechip said:
the 'Grease Method'

Also good for Land Rover Spigot Bush removal ............. followed by the obligatory grease coating of the operator ;D

We need Tee Shirts guys :D ;D :D

CC

CrewCab said:
Also good for Land Rover Spigot Bush removal ............. followed by the obligatory grease coating of the operator ;D

We need Tee Shirts guys :D ;D :D

CC
At least you have the crankshaft as the "grease holding base", not a thin walled 50 year old monkey metal casting ;D The expander method works with needle rollers and open caged ball bearings, all you need is a couple of millimeteres behind the bearing to get it's hooks into.

Agreed it's a bit of annoying to break off dismantling the assembly and go over to the lathe for an hour to make the tool but hacking / bodging stuff is for the backstreet cut-n-shut hacks. Engineers make precision tools for the job in hand and plan to do so in advance precluding the need to "hack" :-*

Latest posts

Back