Elmers Uniflow

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Bob,
Almost done. Decided to do the crank eccentric a little different, mainly because I didn't want to use any of the 2" dia brass stock I had, the only material I had to make the 3/16 thick piece. A trip to Ace Hardware yielded two 3/8 dia brass washers at 38 cents apiece. That with the 1" wide x 1/16 brass bar stock I had in stock would work.
I milled the rough shape into the barstock then soldered the washers to it. Drilled and reamed to size, then made a fixture to locate on the finished dia and milled the finish profile.
Just need to clean it up and polish

ecc parts.JPG

ecc ruff.JPG

ecc mill2.JPG

Pretty much everything is done. Just an ancillary part or two.
I'm going to assemble it and make sure it works before I go further on the appearance.
Still need to decide if I'll round off the cylinder as per Elmer's plans, do something else or do nothing.
I'll also decide on finishing, painting and polishing.

Mark

parts4.JPG

Finished! Kinda ;D
Got it all done and assembled to test run. Runs good. Got it down to 15lbs before it stalled. It's breaking in now. Tomorrow I'll take it apart and do the finishing/polishing/painting work. Still not sure if I'll follow Elmer's plans for the cylinder and base or improvise

Mark

The movie isn't very good; I took it on my digital camera
Oh, I know I'll get some flak for the phillips screws; I'm going to stud it and use nuts in the finished version

assmbl2.JPG

assmbl2.JPG

View attachment first run.AVI

:big:
Finally got it done. I let it sit for a bit while I started on my Elbow Engine Going to do a build article on that, looks promising so far.
Anyhow here are the pics. I decided to leave the cylinder square for now, thinking about making one from round stock in the future

Video coming soon I hope. My son isn't here with me to help me, so we'll see scratch.gif

uni2.JPG

uni2.JPG

uni3.JPG

uni3.JPG

uni4.JPG

uni6.JPG

Very nice Mark. :bow: Thm: Thm: :bow:
Gail in NM,USA

Nice. I also like little details like that 'trough' under the flywheel. I don't know what it is...but it always adds to the view.

Mark,
Very nicely done...will be a great addition to your collection. I also like the way you fabricated the eccentric strap. Thanks for sharing !!

Regards,
Bill

Two Dogs,

Great job :bow: :bow:

Waiting for the video.

Best Regards
Bob

OK, lets see if this works

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk183/mccoates/?action=view&current=Uniflow.flv

The video isn't very good quality, but it's as good as I can figure out now.
Mark

edit: now that I look at it on this site, it's even poorer quality than I thought. Anyone got any ideas? I'm using a Sony HandyCam about 3 years old and Microsoft Movie Maker. It should do better than this. As you can hear, it's turning faster than the video would show

I thought it looked fine (great actually). I was impressed by the flywheel. It almost looked like it wasn't moving...no wobble or 'imperfections' to indicate movement (not the word I want but I can't think of better).

Hi Carl
Thank you!
What I did to the flywheel after painting was to install it on a pc of .250 stock and face off the sides to get rid of the overspray. I had masked it a little on the "short side to insure coverage.
The video just seems real "choppy" to me

Mark,
Very nice runner! Nice and smooth. :bow:

The video looks great from here. Gotta remember that Photobucket is going to try to reduce bandwidth by using compression. That tends to reduce quality a bit, nothing you can do about it. I think it looks just fine, though.

Congratulation! Great job!

Back