Elmer's Standby Plan Notation Noob Question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon

Reaction score
So I'm working on my first project from plans and need some guidance on plan notation. I'm starting with Elmer's Standby, plans are here:

http://www.john-tom.com/ElmersEngines/19_standby.pdf

On the drilled holes there are notations of letters in circles, such as P in a circle, or both C and S in circles next to each other, or just a C.

Do these mean something like ream vs. use a twist drill, or am I completely off base? Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks,
Brandon

Brandon, on some of the plans there's a small box with the legends explained. Here they are in case the plans for the engine your building don't have it.

All are in a circle. And sometimes used in combinations. Example, SF= smooth and flat.

C= close fit
S= smooth
F= flat
B= braze or solder
P= press fit or Loctite
L= Loctite only

There may be a few more more, and not all the plans have the legend box.

Drilling a hole is a roughing operation. I use drilled only holes for tapping and screw clearance holes mostly. A close fitting and accurately sized hole can only be achieved by reaming or boring.

-MB

Thanks, MB. That clarifies a lot.

Metal Butcher said:
Brandon, on some of the plans there's a small box with the legends explained. Here they are in case the plans for the engine your building don't have it.

All are in a circle. And sometimes used in combinations. Example, SF= smooth and flat.

C= close fit
S= smooth
F= flat
B= braze or solder
P= press fit or Loctite
L= Loctite only

There may be a few more more, and not all the plans have the legend box.

Drilling a hole is a roughing operation. I use drilled only holes for tapping and screw clearance holes mostly. A close fitting and accurately sized hole can only be achieved by reaming or boring.

-MB

Latest posts

Back