Elmers #26

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimm1966

Reaction score
I started an Elmer's wobbler a couple of months ago, it's almost ready to test drive.
Here is the link to the plans (skip the #25, don't know why they were included together):

http://www.john-tom.com/ElmersEngines/25_26_WobblerBoiler.pdf

Here is what it looked like a month ago:

wobbler1.jpg

Here is the progress since then:

wobbler2.jpg

wobbler3.jpg

I did find one problem with the plans, either that or I read them wrong. The radius of the boiler top turned out much too large if you make it 2" radius. I found that 1" radius is almost perfect. Also I'm building this from just stuff I had laying around. The stack has a smaller diameter (.375") then the 1/2" called for in the plans. We will see how well it works out. :-\ There are other small differences that I had to do because I didn't have the correct materials. One was the connection from the boiler to the engine. My K&S copper tubing's wall was much too thin to put threads on it, so I just soldiered it to the engine. I can get the engine to tick over a couple of times just using my breath (I don't have an air compressor). So I'm going to take that as a good thing. :)

Now all that is left is to paint it and put the boiler lagging on then the live steam test. :big:

Jason

Do the live steam test before you paint. You may have a few leaks that require resoldering and that will add unusual textures and colors to the paint.

Thanks Marv, that's a good point. I will put it all back together and test tomorrow. I don't have the fuel or wicking I need yet. :(

Jason

Nope, it's 430 degree silver bearing solder from PM Research.

Jason

Great looking boiler and parts. Looking forward to seeing it run. I love wobblers. Time I made another I reckon, with a boiler I think. Need to build a present for someone.

Brock

Latest posts

Back