Elmer's Mill #33 and Factory #41 Engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inky Engines

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I've just finished the Inky Engines versions of Elmer's Mill #33 and Factory #41 Engines, and uploaded a You Tube video.

I'm not the first to decide to build these engines together given the many identical or similar parts, but I couldn't resist then connecting them together and running as a self starting unit.

I continue to be amazed at how well these small Elmer slide valve engines can run - before stripping down to take photographs I had the pair running together on compressed air at 1 psi, and could manage a few revs on breath power - on rebuilding 2 psi was required, but I expect this to fall as the setup beds in again.

These are the 8th and 9th of Elmer's designs built by Inky Engines, with the 10th a Comber Rotary Engine now running (but needing lots of air) and awaiting the video. I'm then hoping to make a start on Elmer's #5 Geared Engine in the next few weeks.

IMG_5389.jpg

[ame]http://youtu.be/VpfbiwVe4hE[/ame]

Kind regards

Geoff at Inky Engines

Beautiful work Geoff. I like the extra parts on display that would replace the clear parts you used to show the inner workings of the engines:)

Great builds! Love the idea of running them together.
Two questions
1. What is coupling the shafts together?
2. What is your procedure for the satin finish?

Marvelous work. You are a real craftsman. That coupling looks like a zero backlash coupling that I have used on various automation projects for connecting servo motors to mechanisms.---Brian

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Stan / Brian .....

The units are connected with a flexible coupling to an Inky Engines design! Essentially the coupling allows for the inevitable small amounts of axial and angular misalignment between the two shafts. I tried a rigid coupling, but it slowed the unit as soon as the grub screws were tightened. Milling the 3 turn helix (beam) was fun ..... 4º on the rotary table - 0.033 mm on the x axis .... repeated 270 times! Commercially available beam type couplings typically have a multiple helix arrangement and provide for zero backlash, noise reduction, etc. along with the misalignment capabilities, but the simple home made version shown works fine in this application.

Stan ....

The ‘satin’ finish is nothing more than a quick rub down with 1200 grade wet and dry, after removing any serious blemishes with 280 and 400 grade. You may have noticed that I prefer running the engines to polishing them!

Kind regards

Geoff at Inky Engines

Back