Elmers #33 Grasshopper Completed - Runs on Live Steam

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vederstein

Must do dumb things....
Reaction score
I'm calling my attempt at Elmer Verberg's #33 grasshopper engine finished. Yeah, it's not as pretty as some other people's work on the same engine. But all those tiny fiddly bits gave me fits. I think I had to remake at least 80% of the moving parts.

It was a learning experience to say the least.

Anyways, I do have it running on live steam in the video. I find it interesting, near the end of the video, the steam valve unseats. No surprise, but once it reseated it ran much better.

youtu.be/qTQS3gczFZ8

...Ved.

DSC00985.jpg

DSC00986.jpg

DSC00987.jpg

DSC00989.jpg

Well done Ved, that's one for the showcase. If anybody criticizes the finish, ask to see theirs.

Jim

Great engine. Thanks for sharing.

Nice model. I like the signature on it- it often bothers me that models are not marked in any way. Every artist signs their painting or sculpture, why are our models any less important?

How did you put that signature on it? CNC?

How did you put that signature on it? CNC?

Yup. one of my two mills is a Sieg X2 that I converted to CNC using the plans from Hossmachine (http://www.hossmachine.info). When I did it, it cost more for the conversion that what I originally paid for the mill! The controller is using LinuxCNC which has a neat add-on called NCGUI.

One of the tools in NCGUI is a text tracer. It's also not too hard to program your own add-ons. I've written ones to profile cams, mill curved slots, and cut true ellipses.

Thanks...

...Ved.

Latest posts

Back