Electronic Gas Grill Ignitors

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Anybody thought of using an electronic gas grill ignitor for IC engine ignition? I'm talking about the kind that uses batteries.

Chuck

It might be possible, but I don't know if the spark will have enough "oomph" i.e. last long enough to ignite petrol vapour consistently.
Also, with continued use the coils in the ignitor might overheat and burn out; they are designed to provide just a couple of delayed sparks at a time, not for a couple of hundred or thousand sparks per minute continuously.

Regards, Arnold

HI Chuck ,Jann Ridder uses pizo igniters on some of his IC engines , his plans are free , great bloke.
http://heetgasmodelbouw.ridders.nu/
Rob

principeschets_tweetakt.jpg

The examples shown use a mechanical piezo electric ignitor which requires a fair amount of pressure against the spring loaded striker. The ignitor I'm thinking of uses a battery and an electronic voltage booster, so the only mechanical component is a switch. It generates a rapid stream of sparks as long as the switch is closed. Seems like it would be more dependable and take less force to activate.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back