Electric Power Plant Tour

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra428

Reaction score
Well Gang, tonight I went to a tour of a power plant. Because the Engineers of the Watch knew we weren't crazies or something else, they said they were going to give us the tour that nobody else has ever seen. I went on the 3hr tour... the beauty of it was that this place was a 4 turbine facility....2 down for a quick overhaul (5 mon) 1 down for a major overhaul (12 mon) and 1 running
(365MegaWatt while we where there).
So I got to see it all. First we went to the bottom of the boilers...ash pit. Let me say this they have been off coal for many years
now and run on both or either or #6 oil or gas. Then we took the elevator up to the flame level and he opened this little door and MAN IT GOT HOT QUICK 1700F you could see the top of the flame and the tubes inside, this is 3 stories up. He said that from a cold start the boilers will expand 2 feet at the bottom (their are suspended from at the top ( 6 stories up)). Condensers, water purification,
desalinization (on the north shore of Long Island (discharge), 8" x 5ft bolts, flanges (nuts both sides, stud and 2 threads showing) valves, valves and more valves of all types. The plumbing was amazing. Oh, the control room...just like on TV.

So now you want to see the pic's
Well sorry to disappoint....Homeland Security no pic's allowed :'(

Oh steam turbines 3600 rpm.....electric 60 Hz. scratch.gif :big:

BIG LATHES

If you get a chance or can make a chance for your club....or self ...I highly recommend it

Tony

I'm jealous :D

Sounds like a tour I would love to go on. Here in Texas, we have lots of coal powered plants and almost as many running on natural gas(methane). It's a sure bet that you can track the cost of natural gas in the state and predict whether your electric bill will go up or down based on the price. Right now its down and my electric bill is down as well. ;)

I would get me some coal from along the train tracks but like you said about Homeland Security etc etc. I would probably not make it back to the car before the black suburbans surrounded me. 8)

Kermit

Kermit,
They gave us a data sheet on the place. I going to scan it and post. The numbers are scary
Tony

Here's a scan of the data sheet.

1.jpg

from a cold start the boilers will expand 2 feet at the bottom (their are suspended from at the top ( 6 stories up)).

WOW !! Locomotive boilers I believe typically expanded 1-2" I wonder about marine boilers now. I'll have to ask around about those.

I took a bus tour of a local refinery a few years back. Talk about some massive plumbing jobs !! Takes an army of plumbers, pipe-fitters, electricians, engineers, etc. to keep those plants going ! I have another bus tour (a community out-reach/good neighbor programs scheduled in a few weeks of the Chevron refinery here in Southern California (Los Angeles). No cameras of any sorts allowed (dang). Hope I can make it.

I also toured the local sewage plant a long time ago. Now that was actually very, very interesting. Now I know where all the sh** goes :big: :toilet: Rof} .... <insert own jokes here> ....

Mike

Toured a sewage treatment plant once during a grade school field trip ::)The neatest tour was the bulk hauler SS MATHERS in Cleveland.

I remember my first day in the power plant as a 21 year old kid, very intimidating! We have 3 boilers and the fire box measures 40' x 80' and 16 stories high! Massive pumps, valves, fans and electric motors the size of a single car garage :eek: And the tools to maintain this equipment is sized to match! Funny though after 34 years, it's just another day at the plant.

pabird,
Hats off to ya! The guys that took us on the tour (Engineers of the Watch) knew every valve, switch, what was 10 stories below and above at any location in the plant. What the gauges should read and what they shouldn't. You're an amazin bunch of folks.
Tony

Latest posts

Back