Eastern US show recommendation?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My main interest is in Hit n Miss type engines, and I have been to Portland G.E.A.R.S. twice and enjoyed it both times. Next year I would like to try one of the model shows in the eastern part of the US and had wondered about either Cabin Fever or N.A.M.E.S. I am intending to return to Portland in September.

By planning early, I should be able to arrange time off for either show in the earlier part of the year.

Does anyone who has been to both shows have any recommendations as to which would be the more interesting to attend? Big is not necessarily better.

Flying over from Ireland, where would I fly in to for either show?
Is a hire car necessary or is public transport available for each show?
Suitable accommodation? Not 5*, but a bit above the doss house level would be an advantage.

I didn't intend it to be the main family vacation, just a quick weekend trip + a couple of extra days possibly.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Hi Dave,
Let me start out by saying that both show, NAMES and Cabin Fever, are fine shows. I think that Cabin Fever is a little larger than the current NAMES show but that's not the biggest concern.
Cabin Fever is held in January in York, Pennsylvania. The winter weather can be tolerable or it can be ferocious. The nest issue is air access. York has an airport but the size of it would limit the amount of carriers and being that it is smaller the cost would probably be quite expensive. There are plenty of accommodations in and around York.
NAMES on the other hand is held the end of April in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan. Although the weather could be less than perfect it would be much better than January.
Detroit has several major airports that are served by most carriers so it would be much easier to fly there. I would suspect that you could get transportation from the airport to some of the larger motel/hotel chains so you wouldn't necessarily have to rent an automobile. As far as accommodations, you could find anything that you want, from what we call a 'bed and breakfast', to the top of the line hotel chains.
I'm sure your local travel agency could find out the particulars for you.
I hope this helps,
George

The New England Model Engineering Society hires a bus to go to Cabin Fever every year. If you could connect with them, either in Boston before they left or at their hotel when they got to York, it would solve the problem of getting between the show and your hotel. I don't think there is any public transportation to speak of in York.

I've lost track of where NAMES is being held. It has moved around several times. At one point it was held right across the street from a hotel, but I'm not sure that is still true.

George is right about winter weather in PA although the last few years it's not been much of a problem. You can fly into Philadelphia, get a car, and be at Cabin Fever in just over two hours. No city driving. I know there's direct flights between Heathrow and Philly. Hotels are everywhere.

Thanks to George, Mainer and Zee for your replies.

In my mind I would prefer to go to Cabin Fever, but as has been noted, the weather can be an adverse factor.

I have been looking at flight arrangements to York and there would be the need to get a local flight from one of the major cities. Mainer's idea about meeting up with the New England crowd was a very good suggestion and I believe that would be the easiest for me if there was space on their bus - and they wouldn't mind putting up with me.

I will give this serious consideration and let you all know what I decide in due course.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Dave
Baltimore Washington International Airport is a easy Hour drive to York.
with proper planning you may be able to get someone here to give a ride.
Tin

I have been to every NAMES since #2, and to every Cabin Fever. I intend to continue going to both as long as I am able.

If I had to give up one Id give up NAMES first. Not that its bad, just that Cabin fever is better. Besides just the model show it has a major auction of models and machinery, a LARGE layout of Gscale model railroads and a large model boat pond. The venue is much bigger.

In any location in the US public transport is essentially non-existent. Even in Detroit where the airport is just about 10 miles from the hotels, you MIGHT get a hotel limo, but the show is 2 miles from the nearest hotel and there are no local taxis. York may have local taxi service, but I wouldnt want to wait for it.

As Tin said BWI is about an hours ride and for international flight is probably best. The Harrisburg airport is closer, but more of a secondary airport, likely not so good for international.

I just spoke to Gary, the organizer of Cabin Fever a couple days ago, he is planning a separate auction of a major collection of gas engines for this year to run on Saturday, while the show is in process. He also said he already has more 'good stuff' committed to the Friday auction than ever before.

My advice is to go to Cabin Fever, arrive on Thursday so you can be at the auction all day Friday.

Flights into Philadelphia may be a bit cheaper than BWI for international flights, but philly to york is 100 miles or a two hour drive.
Getting around York should not be a major deal. I would think you could catch a ride with someone at the show.
Tin

Tin

Apologies for not replying earlier, but better late than never (I hope).

I'm looking into direct flights to the various major airports roundabout. Once I have selected the best route, then I will be putting out the requests for a ride. It's probably a bit early in the proceedings for firm commitments for attending from your side.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Dave by the grace of God I intend to go to CF. I have not missed on since IIRC 2001 as an attendee and have exhibited since 2004. But one never knows what life has in store around the corner. One day at a time.
If you have a kilt or two do not be afraid to pack it /them. Heck my buddy Arthur will likely lend you one.
Arthur is a great guy that I met at the CF show one of the few to engage the public and encourage enthusiasm in model building. A great bunch of folks to meet. His car is 1960 checker cab.
I usually drive up Friday morning set up hang out on Friday and then drive home Sunday afternoon evening. Ether BWI or PHL are not too terribly far off my beaten track .
but as you say we can talk later IIRC there are a good handful of folks ether near BWI or PHL.
Tin

Back