Durability of hard silver solder?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

websterz

Reaction score
I am rebuilding an older Barnett crossbow and I need to repair some wear damage to the sear. All of the trigger components are made from mild steel and have grooves worn in them. Ideally I would replicate all the damaged components in something more durable but there are some pretty complex parts to deal with. How well would hard silver solder likely hold up as a contact surface on the sear? Anyone ever done anything like this?

Silver solder is not really that good for building up fillets so may not fill your grooves. It also won't take much wear, probably similar to a hard brass. Could you not build it up with weld?

Jason

Jasonb said:
Silver solder is not really that good for building up fillets so may not fill your grooves. It also won't take much wear, probably similar to a hard brass. Could you not build it up with weld?

Jason

No, the parts I need to build up don't really have enough mass to weld on them. I think I'll just bite the bullet and remake them out of O1.

It should be possible to build them up with a small tip on the oxy/acet AND if you use a slightly carburising flame you will harden the weld metal somewhat.

I am not sure of a source, but another possibility would be to get some stellite wire (Stellite 6) and using a process a lot like brazing, put a drop of that on the end and then mill/grind to suit. The Stelite would not need to be hardened and would end up Rockwell 40-45.

I used to work for the company and have seen some of what can be done with those materials. There are other companies making the same product, depends on where you are as to what might be the available brand.

Web.

What about an epoxy like JB Weld? All you would need to do is create a key on the surface apply a blob of the stuff on then you can machine back your profile. I have machined this stuff and it works well plus its color is the same as steel.

There is another more tough product called Zonenite harder than rhino droppings and keeps its form up to a temp of 1400 deg but I do not know its machining capabilities.

Al the best. Anthony.

I was able to polish out most of the damage. Then I used Kasenit on the sear and trigger. Good to go now. ;D

Back