Dual Power RR Section Car

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldmechthings

Reaction score
Not that anyone might care, but the end of January marked the completion of a scale model of an old hand pumped RR section car from the era before they were powered by gasoline engines. I'll show you a picture anyway.

IMG_4877.jpg

And here is a short video so that you can see to really works. The problem now is that I do not even have a railroad.

Birk

I care! Nice model, and brings back great memories for me: my Dad took me for a ride on one of those when I was around 5 years old. Now all you need is the wooden-wall boxcar converted to section crew diner....

Thanks,

Joe

Me too! I love that stuff.
Got caught in your albums too. You have some very nice models.

Great model.
Could you please tell me the name of this design of railroad equipment. Me and my wife are going nuts as to what this is called.

All the best. Anthony.

Anthony,

It's just as the title implies, section car. They were used by men working on the railroad to get out on the railroad to do repairs on tracks sections. Hence the name - section car.

Kvom,

Up hill may have been a bit tiring but I'm sure down hill was lots of fun. :big:

Bernd

Anthony

You will find lots of info if you search "Pump cars" as well. Once they added motors to them, they were called "speeders" (at least, on the CN Rwy in north Ontario 40+ years ago)

Cheers, Joe

That's neat! You did a nice job on it. Nice work on the figures, too.
Thanks for the pics, and the video!

I worked on the UPRR in the mid 70's. They still had a couple of these in serviceable condition, but they were never used, and always kept on a dead siding. They were called pump cars.
At the time I was working there, the section crews used speeders, if they only needed a couple of guys for the job. If they needed a track gang, they went out in a crew truck.

Dean

I care :) I am crazy about trains. That thing is huge!! What scale is it? You did a fine job you did on this model, was it a kit or built from scratch?

Chris

Very Nice :) :) :)

I went to your web site and found all sorts of interesting models. I especially like the Panther Pup.

Thanks for sharing...

Jeff

Latest posts

Back