DROs on X2

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don-tucker

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Installed DROs yesterday,thought you might like to have a look.I used .025 X 5/8 PB strip for the brackets to have a bit of flexibility in the fixing but still be ridged lengthwise.
DRO1.jpg

DRO2.jpg

Nice job. Mounts look like the work great. The DROs will spoil you. You will never want to do without them!

Yes Don a very neat installation and you will certainly find them invaluable. For me they were a giant step forward in machining accuracy.

I hope you are planning to fit some kind of transparent covers to the scales as I found the ingress of tiny particles of swarf, cutting lubricants and general debris a real problem and resulted in all sorts of spurious readings. I eventually solved the problem by fitting a second, more protective, set of acrylic covers.

You might find this information on my website of interest http://start-model-engineering.co.uk/machines-and-tooling/milling-machines/workshop-news/

John-Som

Thanks for that John,I am trying to think of a cover of some sort to be easy to remove and neat.
Don

'U' section clear Acrylic is probably your best bet Don and I am sure a local plastics company can easily form a couple of sections to your dimensions. Remember to leave access to the gib clamping screws. The way I got round this was to make extended screws that ran through the covers.

If you'd like any more details just give me a shout.

John-Som

Hi Don
Are you sure this is an X2, I did not know there where so many different variations.
Hilmar

John,I have some 1/8" acrylic I can form with a heat gun,so i will have a go.
Hilmar,I think thats what its called,it is the one with larger motor and extended table sizes.
Don

Ahhh no fair, your mill has dro's and mine doesnt! This is a nice looking setup you have going on here. I would imagine that using it will now seem like you are working with a totally different machine.

I'll let you know on that one CM,I have to strengthen the Y axis fixings ,to much lengthways flex giving me a bad reading.
Don

Back