Drill press purchase suggestions ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Morrow

Reaction score
I would like to buy a good quality bench model drill press for my home workshop projects. Many of my drilling is done by my little CNC mill but I still have a number that must be done manually. Often I drill those on my manual Sherline mill but that can be a slow process. I'm really leery of buying one of the Chinese import drill presses. I'm happy to spend the extra money to get something good that will provide the accuracy needed to build Stirling and similar engines. The largest hole I"m likely to drill is .250" and maybe .375".

Any suggestions on models, sources, or other comments would be welcome.

David,

I can't really recommend a particular make or model, but if you have a chance to look at one you are thinking of buying, one thing to check is the tightness of the spindle. Using the hand levers on the right, run the spindle all the way down, then see how much side play there is. Shouldn't be much if any for a good drill press.

Chuck

David,

As well as Chuck's recommendation, I would recommend one with a round, omniversal, drill table.

Hope this helps ??? ???

Best Regards
Bob

Bob speaks with wisdom here.....a very useful table those round ones are.

If you other hole drilling "tool" is rather small, buy something a bit bigger/heavier.

Nothing rips stock off faster than a drill.....that can help when you just need to get the material off/out..

There are lots of other uses for a DP other than holes too, It can be very versitile!

Dave

Latest posts

Back