Dremel Upgrade

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 1970s single-speed Dremel is showing its age. I also want to start my Christmas list to myself. What are anyone's comments regarding the following options:

1- Newer variable speed Dremel: the attachments, especially the plunge router, look good for non-metal-working.

2- Proxxon electric tool like the Dremel: Several who have used this tool say it is much better made and more rugged for adding to lathes or mills.

3- 1/8-in. "Pencil" air grinder: I have a 1/4-in Die Grinder that is my most-used air tool and air tools tend to last forever in my shop.

4- Foredom tool: My first reaction is the price is steep, but I'm sure several would recommend this option anyway.

Thank You

PS: I don't think I need a cordless electric tool: I tend to stay in one place when I use the Dremel.

If you want something on the larger side, I suggest a Rotozip. The multitude of attachments make it very versatile and handy. Plus, different collet sizes let you use different burrs and dremel bits.

If you don't want something as big, the tools you mentioned are great.

If you go the Proxxon route, I suggest that you get the IB/E model. It has ball bearings and a continuous duty rating which is nice if you are going to use it on the lathe or mill. Most important, the nose piece is machined metal and not molded plastic and is designed to support the tool. It is parallel and clamps for mounting are easy to make compared to the molded plastic nose of other models and manufacturers.

Gail in NM

I am a happy Dremel user. Have been for years. If you are overall happy with the Dremel you have and have a collection of accessories I'd say get a newer variable speed model. If you plan to use it as a tool post grinder and such then the Proxxon is a great choice.

My old Dremel is getting a bit sick after 30 odd years of hard use and I recently bought a new, variable speed replacement, very happy with it so far, despite not having used it a lot. Wonder if it will last as long as the old one tho'? Or even will I last that long, come to that.

Hello.
My brand new Dremel gave smoke signs after an hour of grinding some cast Iron.(Inner rim and spokes of my Flame eater´s flywheel.)Then it died.
Never would buy one again.
Now I´m happy with my Proxxon IB/E.
Ralph

Xlmyford said:
Hello.
My brand new Dremel gave smoke signs after an hour of grinding some cast Iron.(Inner rim and spokes of my Flame eater´s flywheel.)

err, warranty not offered in your country?

Dremel isn't what it use to be, since the company was sold. It appears to be more interested in selling new units. They are changing the designs more frequently then they have in the past.

Case in point the first version of the lithium battery one is different, then current one.

I have a number of them, from a 200 series to the 400 series that has the small planer attachment and jig saw attachment. They both work great only thing the planer does remove more material than it looks. Cut once and measure twice.

I like the lithium battery one as it can be used on a ladder and they last charged for a long time.

I have one that I use for cutting dust generating stuff, tile, grout, stone and the like, that way I'm only destroying one unit at a time.

As to the Dremel accessories, The plunge router works better for softer woods and materials. I used it on some oak, it worked but was slow due to numerous thin cuts/more passes.

I had the old version of the router attachment years ago and made doll house size trim and wood parts small work and a slow feed.

The router table is now a plastic light weight styrene type, and needs to be screwed down to use. It is the same as the other items in the router type, light, soft materials work better.

There are people that use the drill presses stands and router tables as milling machines for thin brass copper and aluminum. Again the speed, many cuts, and a light touch.

You have to remember that the Dremel is a hobbyist level tool and made as such. Podiatrist's use them and some other doctors for removing casts, along with the nail salons and pet groomers.

I have a number of them as I tend to use more than one bit at the same time, saves a lot of messing changing back and forth. All mine Have the keyless type chucks installed.

I have two of the HF flex shafts Foredom knock off's one has drill thousands of holes in assorted material and works fine, They were the original versions. the other has the wood chisel head attachment and work ok for that.

You can buy flex shaft attachments and make up a coupling for an electric motor, or chuck it in a drill press for slower speed work. I made a coupler and had it on an old dryer motor.

Both my parents are master wood carvers and have the Foredoms they like them for certain things.

The rotozip is now owned by the same company as Dremel. they work great and the accessories can do some nice set ups/jobs.

I have a Porta cable version Older model they no long supply parts or accessories for it. I wouldn't buy that brand again, as the guy at the tool saw sharpening shop told me to pith it and buy the new version. Nothing wrong with the old version other than I didn't have the accessory table attachment.

Pencil air tools, as long as the air is dry and you keep the lubed are fine if you can control the speed or have the bits that can take the speed with out burning up. They are better used with stone mounted points than bits.

Proxxon electric tool like the Dremel, are more robustly made and are also a good choice.

It depends on the use of the tool, and the rated duty cycle of the tool, and what you care to spend.
;D

I still have my old Dremel. I have used it so much that I have replaced the brushes in it twice. Wondering how long it would last I put a new one on my Christmas list a few years ago. My sons bought a new one for me with the flexible shaft attachment and it works great. I have the hanger stand for the flexible shaft which makes it very convenient for bench work. I use it constantly for my model work.
gbritnell

I had the same problem as xlmyford.Did some cleaning up of brass castings,and it died.For some reason that type of work really knocks the brushes about.Once I fitted new brushes,it went like a rocket,and never looked like giving up.Mine is the corded 395 model,and I've worn out the keyless chuck with use!The only problem,if you can call it that,is that the slowest speed is still quite fast.Hence I use it mostly with a cutting-off wheel in place.
BTW.,if you're using the thin cut-off wheels,you can extend their life considerably by coating them with thin superglue before you use them.drop some glue on it,then spread it over the whole disc with a balled up piece of paper.when dry,turn over and do the other side.

GailInNM said:
If you go the Proxxon route, I suggest that you get the IB/E model. It has ball bearings and a continuous duty rating which is nice if you are going to use it on the lathe or mill. Most important, the nose piece is machined metal and not molded plastic and is designed to support the tool. It is parallel and clamps for mounting are easy to make compared to the molded plastic nose of other models and manufacturers.

Gail in NM

A big second for that approach. I got one using a gift certificate + a bit and have
made a holder for the mill quill to use as a high speed spindle. Works great. Haven't
needed it on the lathe yet.
...lew...

Thanks aheg1220, GailinNM, TwMaster, Tel, Almyford, Artie, PTSideshow, gbritnell, bentprop, Lew Hartswick and offline.

I was wondering if the air tool was what I wanted, but I think I'll put the Proxxon on my list for the future or the holidays. After all, the old Dremel is still working yet.

--

OT: "... not what it once was": Added to the long list of American Power Tools. Does anyone remember Thor and Fairchild?

Latest posts

Back