Do i need a CAD program for mechanical drawings.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.BRAXMAIER

Reaction score
I'm looking for something easy to put my plans and projects on paper with maybe a computer program since i my drawing skills are not very good. From what i gather i need a cad program and a pdf program i think here is a link for a cadprogram would you recommend this. Or am i going in the wrong direction thanks for your time. http://deltacad.com/

C.BRAXMAIER,
There are a lot of cad programs available, some $5000 a copy some $100. Alibre seems to be a popular one on this site. Search Alibre for more info.

Tony

That appears to be a 2D package. That's OK and if your "native" to that and it gets the job done....your there! :)

There are several packages out there....some are 3D.

There are some advantages to 3D, but a steeper learning curve....generally.....on the other hand, I have no idea about your drawing or computer skills

You may want to check out Alibre

http://www.alibre.com/

I have been using it for over a year and really like it

They have a couple of free down loads to check out too.

Dave

I have not used Delta but some programs like that are better suited to drafting buildings than machine parts. I have been using DoubleCAD XT and find it well suited to 2D drafting. Nice thing is that it can import and use Auto CAD files which makes it very compatible. Price is even better. You can download it for free. They hope you will want the pro version and pay for the upgrade.

I tried Alibre and found it very difficult to learn. Partly because it is so darned powerful and very good at 3D. I just don't need 3D and don't have time for a long learning curve.

Here is another here they offer a 3d and 2d free for personal use.
PowerSHAPE-e
Plus they have tutorial videos to help get started.
I personally have not used it I use Unigraphics NX6.

It is associated to Feature Cam or now known as DelCam. I have used the DelCam software at work and it is a very good feature recognition cam software.

You might also look into Progecad1009Smart

2D and limited 3d and free.

Hey.... don't under rate Bogster's Crap-o-Cad v2.01. It comes with a really neat rubber eraser on one end....(grin)

Steve

Ah yes Cedge, the Crap-o-cad 2.1 I believe, though they may have updated recently.....the code comes in a brightly colored box....presharpened even! ;D

Bogs be nice....I mean it with love! ;)

Dave

Cedge said:
Hey.... don't under rate Bogster's Crap-o-Cad v2.01. It comes with a really neat rubber eraser on one end....(grin)

Steve
Rof} Rof}
Does that come with any games like tic tac toe or anything. ;)

Cedge said:

Steve

Don't you mean the "cylindrical correction device" ???

Novices operators.... sheeeeeesshhh, that thing will correct all kinds of shapes.

Steve

I just wish somebody had a reasonably priced 2D CAD package for the Macintosh. I've tried CADDintosh. Made me want to stab myself in the face.

I really hate to have to buy a stinking PC to run a CAD package.

[ Made me want to stab myself in the face.

I really hate to have to buy a stinking PC to run a CAd package.
[/quote]

Thank you for that visual! Rof} Rof} Rof}

Dave

My thought is that the learning curve for any given CAD program would be steeper than the learning curve for using a pencil, straight-edge and protractor. Once drawn by hand, you can scan it into your computer. A PDF writer can cost you if you buy the standalone. Many CAD platforms have licensed it for use only in their programs.

My favorites are AutoCAD and SolidWorks, certainly out of your price range although you can find the older versions of AutoCAD (2000 and 2000LT) pretty cheap which are still very powerful programs. Those only need the authorization code and don't have to activate via the Internet. AutoCAD is more intuitive than one might think and has been the model for years that other programs try to mimic. It pre-dates Windows and MS-DOS.

Guess that didn't help much, did it.... :noidea:

Drawing their ideas is an issue for some people, As a (former) teacher of Design and Technology - teaching these skills to kids was a major challenge. Although CAD sort of improved things, at least the errors were more neatly made, getting an 11 year old to understand the benefits of correct layout was to say the least an uphill struggle.

Most kids seem to feel they are not artistic / able to draw / creative. I guess the same may be true for a lot of adults as well.

The nice part of engineering drawing is that it is a formal system that if you fillos the rules all you need is a pencil and a few simple drawing tools.

I had started this with the intent of doing a short how to draw series of posts but after a little thought I don't reckon you can do much better as a start than to go here

http://www.technologystudent.com/designpro/drawdex.htm

Although prepared for school kids it covers all the main drawing points in nice clear diagrams that everyone can use.

For the UK readers who have a Wilkinsons store near them they are selling TWO automatic 0.7 mm Crap-o-CAD pencils for 75p! OUTSTANDING value no sharpening needed.

Tony:
IMHO everyone involved in this hobby should learn /know how to draw. Learning freehand drawing sketching as well as t-square and triangle drafting is a good start. Elmer Versburge of Elmer's engines fame suggests that you draw/sketch each part on a 3 x 5 file card this familiarizes you with each part and give a handy reference by the lathe or mill.
That said this is the computer age there are many 2-D ,3-D CAD programs available. Digital drawing drafting artwork is a fact of life.
The one I have had the most success with is Alibre an I have not used it a lot I still need to practice. (I got a $99 deal)
that one you mention looks nice for 2 d stuff. One of the things you need to watch is the audience the software was written for. A package targeting carpenters a, contractors and weekend home improvement warriors may not work well when designing machine/engine parts.
Most software will allow a demo download or even try the full version for 3o days and then pay the piper or use crippleware.

Hope this helps
Tin

I use TurboCAD 2/3D Deluxe,16 and it is fine for my 2d and 3d needs. They also have CAD for the Mac. I beleive the site is www.imsidesign.com I also use Turbocad 12.5Pro for some applications. ironman

Twmaster said:
I just wish somebody had a reasonably priced 2D CAD package for the Macintosh. I've tried CADDintosh. Made me want to stab myself in the face.

I really hate to have to buy a stinking PC to run a CAD package.

My wife runs Autocad in the windows emulator on her Mac at work. I know nothing about Mac, so I have no idea what it takes.

I drive mainly Solidworks and some AutoCad, also Microstation about a dozen years ago.

I learned pencil drafting in high school, early 90's. All of my drawings are still at my parents. I wish I had known about it prior to my senior year. I would have taken four years of drafting. I signed up for machine shop in high school. But they wouldn't run the class for the sole student that signed up. I was upset. :-[ I didn't learn machining until I bought my own and taught myself. Actually, I took a technology class my senior year and had two weeks each on a CNC Sherline (Spectralite) mill, and lathe, and some now obscure CAD software, among other mechanical fields. The teacher just about exploded when we broke and endmill.

Anyhow, I always recommend that if someone is serious about learning CAD, they look up the community college and take a class if available. Formal training works very well in most cases and doesn't cost that much.

Kind of a dumb question, but is this the same deltacad that you are refering to?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVJFQUL-o0s[/ame]

If its the same, it sure looks like one could do a lot more than buildings with it.

Kenny

Latest posts

Back