DIY Magneto Kit from MiniMag UK

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
DIY Magneto

As a young kid,I have seen Magnetos on Matchless MotorCycles and been fascinated by same. Saw one Webster Engine powered with MiniMag Magneto.
Bought the export kit which is cheaper less the bulky items.But it still cost me half a bomb.
Plan to start work next or next. The next magneto will be fully DIY with most material sourced locally. One difficult item would be the permanent rotor magnets which I plan to canabalise from antique bicycle dynamos.

IMG_1577.jpg

Very interesting Gus, as a young kid, I would peer in the window of the local bike shop at the dynamos, wishing I could have one. Several years later when I eventually got one, with the associated light, I thought that it was great. I think that the light beam produced, barely reached the ground. The modern bike lights are absolutely amazing, did not even dream as a kid that they could be so bright.

Paul.

Gus,

Go to here

http://www.floridaame.org/

Then on left hand side go to tips and links, once in there you will see the very first post, where you can download a PDF of the build sequence I took when doing the prototype Minimag. It should give you a few easy pointers on how to do it.

It was my Minimag that you saw powering the Webster.

Reactions: gus
Aha Blogwitch! So you are still around and watching. It is nice to see.

Jim

Very interesting Gus, as a young kid, I would peer in the window of the local bike shop at the dynamos, wishing I could have one. Several years later when I eventually got one, with the associated light, I thought that it was great. I think that the light beam produced, barely reached the ground. The modern bike lights are absolutely amazing, did not even dream as a kid that they could be so bright.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

We had to pedal very hard and fast to get a brighter light.:wall: Not worth the effort to get a brighter beam.

Gus got smart,he later bought a battery operated head lamp. ;

Just imagine there were kerosene lamps for bicycles too.:)

Will surf the Antique Shops in Bandanoon/Mossvale area while visiting my ''92'' young boss who took me off the street and gave a job that lasted 32 years from draftsman/estimator-----------Operations Manager.He was a great boss who can see potential in young engineers.

Gus,

Go to here

http://www.floridaame.org/

Then on left hand side go to tips and links, once in there you will see the very first post, where you can download a PDF of the build sequence I took when doing the prototype Minimag. It should give you a few easy pointers on how to do it.

It was my Minimag that you saw powering the Webster.

Hi Blogwitch,

Thanks for reminding me. Will make diligent reference to your post. Sure beats reinventing the wheel.The next few engines will be with DIY Magnetos using bicycle dynamo rotors, DIY HT coil and DIY laminations cannabilised from power transformers. With be very challenging to DIY Power Press to stamp laminations. Mild Steel won't do. Must be silicon steel.Gus has dreaming beyond the rim.Ha Ha Ha. Must come down back on my feet.

Jim,
Ill health has stopped me working in my shop, but my brain is still working most of the time, so if I see something I can help with, I help.

John

Hi John,

Take care and get well.

Hi John,
Gus now 71 and darling boss 68. Been celebrating our anniversaries every year in
Japan,sight seeing,window shoppping and eating. Somehow I married the right woman that stayed with me during my very tough and challenging days with Ingersoll-Rand,USA,Singapore Plant.
TokyuHands is my favourite arts and crafts shop which also sells some quality tools for metal working. Been buying replacement drills for my 0.1mm increment drill sets. Nellie loves window shopping but does not buy much.
Both Nellie and Gus plan to travel in the East Asia while we can still move on our feet. Nellie has back pain and Gus plans it such that she gets enough back rest.

The city trains are user friendly for the elderly too. At every station there are always interesting places,shops,temple and even churches. We plan to drop by Nagasaki to see all the churches and pray for the world and all my friends and John
included.
This Sept 24 trip will be to Fukuoka where hotel,food,shopping and trains far cheaper than Tokyo. I speak no Japanese but I can read Kanji(Chinese text).The Station Masters and Police speak English. Asking for directions when we get lost was no problem.

Take care.

Last edited:
Gus, when working, I made quite a few press tools for laminations, some with carbide cutting edges as the lamination steel sure is hard. Laminations came out the bottom of the press in chutes so they stacked nicely.

Paul.

Gus, when working, I made quite a few press tools for laminations, some with carbide cutting edges as the lamination steel sure is hard. Laminations came out the bottom of the press in chutes so they stacked nicely.

Paul.

We share many things in common.Gus was no toolmaker but had to do some heavy stamping. Bought a China 100 ton press, DIY made a die tool to punch,stamp and form flanges for roller-conveyors I volunteered to built for the main warehouse to transfer assembled compressor packages over. Did the heat treatment with electric furnace. Made many stamp tools but all for 2mm and above. With a Heinhaden DRO and a Bridgeport Mill made many multiple punch dies for compressor bases.
OK .The grand finale I have a PM for you.Will be interesting.

Last edited:

Paul.

Hi Paul.

I am so fascinated by fine blanking stamping tools. The heat treatment of die tools to get stamping capacity of millions of pieces. The very high speed
''Minster,UK'' also. I saw tiny parts flying out like rain drops at Metal Box where I slogged for 3 1/2 years.
Now planning murder to totally DIY my next very own Magneto with local parts. I paid S$120 for the Magneto Kid. Thats ''arm & leg'' for a retiree.:rant:
Ha ha Ha. No worry. Will make that money back in no time.

OK. Flu about gone. Next week get engine running.

Take Care.

Will begin scavenging for silicon steel sheet. Might try using milk tin can plates. Most like the electro magnet part of magneto will go into hysterisis.Thay is go crazy and magnetised.

Gus,

Bob Shores book 'Ignition coils and magnetos in miniature' is a very good book to help design and make your own.

John

Hi John,

Thanks. Please vendor e-address. Gus now itching to make his own ht coils and mini magnetos .Been surfing for info on DIY ht coils. I have a coil winding machine with counter. Will be fun.

The tide table prediction is good for fishing tomorrow . Will report good or bad catches. If you are on FaceBook. Hit Augustine Teng to see my catch.
BAdly addicted to boat fishing. Bought an ''Albin 28'' and every weekend fishing is a must. Weather wise its rain or no rain and no heavy seas.

Hi John, Just went into Bob Shores site. Itching to buy the book. I am book mad. Had a free hand to buy industrial handbooks while working with Ingersoll-Rand,USA,Singapore Plant.

Hi John,
Found and buying the book and requesting for postage cost to Singapore. Thanks again. I have designed and built production machines backed by a good collection of reference books. Was fun working with Ingersoll-Rand.

Last edited:
Jim,
Ill health has stopped me working in my shop, but my brain is still working most of the time, so if I see something I can help with, I help.

John

John, I tried to send a PM but it was blocked, I would like to contact you. Could you send me a PM with an email address please.
Jim

(Sorry to highjack your thread Gus)

Will begin scavenging for silicon steel sheet. Might try using milk tin can plates. Most like the electro magnet part of magneto will go into hysterisis.Thay is go crazy and magnetised.

Now bidding on Ebay for a lot of 6 bicycle dynamos to rob rotor magnets to make DIY magnetos.

Gus,

Bob Shores book 'Ignition coils and magnetos in miniature' is a very good book to help design and make your own.

John

Hi John,

Now in South Thailand with friends for the ''Loy Krathong Festival" aka Floating Lantern Festival. Been looking around at some old bicycle shops for bicycle dynamos to no success with the shop owner wondering why this gentleman come looking for item now extinct. All bicycle shops have switched to motorbikes.
On the fun side Gus went to the lantern festival where floating lanterns are released into the canal.
Here's Gus with the US$1.00 lantern and the canal.

IMG_2132.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

At the risk of being pedantic... the old bicycle "Dynamo" were actually Alternators and produced AC. But everybody call them Dynamo probably because they were the first generators used for lighting. No commutator.

Latest posts

Back