Dividing head

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_kilde

Reaction score
Hello Folks

Just wanted to present my latest project.
It is a diving tool, this is the first step in my plan of building a clock

Billede386.jpg

Billede390.jpg

Any comment is welcome

Lovely work as usual, Mogens.

Are you contemplating some form of sector arms to simplify going from one hole to the next?

I have thought about a sector arm, but will start with just marking the apropiate hole pattern with a filt marker, if this goes bad more than twice, I will absolutely make some other arrangement ::)

Very nice. Impressive even.

Say, is that BLOOD on the disc?

;)

It turned out really well Mogens, what hole numbers did you settle on for the plate?

Twmaster said:
Very nice. Impressive even.

Say, is that BLOOD on the disc?

;)
Id say that's some SHARP engineering
LOL
nice work

The plate is made with :

140 - 130 - 120 - 100 - 96 - 80 - 72

holes

Very nice work Mogens. Can you tell us how you made the wheel? What was used to step out the divisions, a master wheel? Gears? How did you insure that the holes would be drilled exactly as placed? Was spotting with a Slocumb/center drill sufficient? I have no need of making a dividing wheel but I'm certainly interested in how it's done.

Wow, very clever. I'm always fascinated with dividing heads and indexing mechanism. Nice work!

Chuck

GWRdriver

The plate is made by a rather special setup on my mill table, I used different wheels for my lathe to make the nessesary gearing to obtain the hole number I needed.

Billede354.jpg

The use of change gears on the mill table is brilliant!!! I want to make a dividing head eventually and will use this method.

Is there a reason for the number of holes you used?

Thank you very much for this. Bob

In my seach of info on building a clock, I found the division I can make with these numbers of holes to be useful.
I can make the following division with the tool :

dividingrange.jpg

Upper row is the set of holes in the plate - the table shows numbers of divisions

Using change gears bolted to the table to index?

Freaking genius! :bow:

I would never have thought of that, LOL. But now I know.... and it's filed away in that dusty "Handy bag of tricks" folder in my brain..... heck, I may even make the studs up so I have them available.

Kudos!

+Karma, LOL

I understand the table. I may not need those exact divisions, but understand the logic. It's a brilliant concept and very well done.

Thank you, Bob

738 holes is a lot of drilling.

How did you select the hole circles you used? For instance, the 96 hole circle contributes only one unique (i.e., not possible with the other circles) division, 32. You could have simply drilled a 32 hole circle and saved drilling 96 - 32 = 64 holes.

I prefer my division table looking like this:
divi.jpg

mklotz said:
...96 hole circle contributes only one unique (i.e., not possible with the other circles) division, 32...

What about 96 and 48 ? :)

Chris

bambuko said:
What about 96 and 48 ? :)

His table only goes to 36 so I assume he's not concerned with divisions above that number.

However, that's why I asked how he selected the hole counts he used. There may be more to this than the displayed table reveals.

We may differ in the interpretation of the table ... ;D
(and I could be wrong ...)

Chris

When using the factor on the left of the table, it will guide me on what division of the hole row I shall use i.e every second hole will give divisions in the second row, every third will give division in third row, and so on.

I'm planning on marking the appropiate holes with a spirit marker when working with the tool

Hope you can get my point.

And that's how I read your table - hence my simplified version showing all possible available divisions you can get using your wheels.
For example to get 20 division, you may use either 140:20 (every 7th hole), or 120:20 (every 6th hole) or 100:20 (every 5th hole).
On another hand if you want 48 divisions, you can only do it using 96:48 (every 2nd hole)
etc, etc ...

Chris

BTW - if we are talking about candidates to save your drilling effort, I would suggest 80 hole wheel:
40, 16, 10, 8, 5, 4, 2 divisions can be done using remaining wheels. The only unique one is 80 divisions ... ;D
div91.jpg

In yellow are all the unique divisions that can only be done with one particular wheel.

Back