Diesel Engine for free flight

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterdivergbr

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

Many many years ago I decided that if I was ever in the position, I would build a Diesel engine for a free flight aircraft.

My family bought me a mini-lathe as a Christmas, Birthday and Retirement present and so I feel I should at last be able to manage a 53 year old dream.

I intend to "remember" my metalworking skills with a wobbler engine but eventually construct a motor similar to the one shown adjacent to the HMEM logo, but I cannot find any reference to it.

I wonder if someone could identify it for me.

Best Wishes

Peter

Based on the "Owen Mate" that was in the Motor Boys planbook that is not available at the moment.

at 2cc these things can still put out some power and may be a bit more than you want for free flight though a limited fuel supply may stop things getting away from you too much.

The build was featured here just search for owen and mate.

Follow the link at the bottom of this page to get to the build thread
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?p=254458&highlight=owen#post254458

Thanks Jason

I have managed to find masses of information re. the "Mate"

But sadly I am unable to find any plans for the engine. It seems the CD it was on is no longer available.

Thanks for all the help - it was much appreciated.

Best Wishes

Peter

The Mills 1.3 was designed for free flight. I built a couple as my third or fourth foray into "Diesels." They were not that difficult. The plans were in Model Engine Builder magazine.

Gents, I am overwhelmed with your kind suggestions and wonderful help!

I have now many ideas and fully intend to put some of them into practice once everything is up and running.

Thanks again

Peter

My dated experience is that even the old ED46 Baby will do a freeflight model. I recall that we knocked up a RTP( round the pole) model for it and it went around a metal music stand. Eventually it went onto ?Veron 'Mallard' and ended somewhere in between Cumbria and the Isle of Man. As for the Mills 0.75, mine powered a host of Vic Smeed designs. The Mills 1.3 and the ED 1.3 and 2.00cc Comp Special were for BIG things.

So size was not important

Norman

Back