Die construction

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard1

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good book on making press tools. I have Die Design Fundamentals by J.R. Paquin which is fantastic if you want to know how to design dies has all the information you need on clearances, die blocks, blanking, punching the whole lot but I really need a book on how to put it all together. At the moment I am experimenting with making a die to blank rectangles 5/8 by 1 1/4 inch out of 0.6mm 316. It is very much cut and try at present to see what happens.

I have over 20 years experience as a tool and die maker and designer (blanking, progressive,etc. solidworks, inventor, autocad, bobcad, unigraphics). This is a dying trade thanks to nafta and china along with our bad eco.. More than willing to help out, just give me a pm, and I'll see if I can help you with any questions or problems. Just so you know most of what you need to learn is done on the job not in a book, but keep reading it will help.

That book is available on Amazon price ranges from $1.99 to $80 will order it in the morning. Thanks.

Richard1,

I don't think you could go wrong at the prices you quoted, I think you'll find it has enough information in it to get you going.

Kevin

Richard1 said:
Can anyone recommend a good book on making press tools. I have Die Design Fundamentals by J.R. Paquin which is fantastic if you want to know how to design dies has all the information you need on clearances, die blocks, blanking, punching the whole lot but I really need a book on how to put it all together. At the moment I am experimenting with making a die to blank rectangles 5/8 by 1 1/4 inch out of 0.6mm 316. It is very much cut and try at present to see what happens.

Use 10% per side Punch to Die clearance. Use cutting oil. I have been in the Tool & Die trade for 36 years.

Latest posts

Back