Dial Indicator Repair

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have a Chinese KD Tools DialIndicator that was dropped. It has become stiff to operate normally,but I can still move the plunger the full travel, it is just toostiff to return to the extended position via it's own springpressure. I have purchased another, but I would like to fix this oneif I can.

The back comes off to reposition themounting lug. I have removed the back and inspected the mechanism but cannot see anything bent or twisted. I secured the top 3/8”mounting bar in my mill collet and the top tube unscrews but doesn’tfree it up. Does the bottom tube on the indicator tip end unscrewalso? I put that end in the collet but could not unscrew it. Is itrepairable? Long Island Indicator will not touch it. Anyone know of adownloadable parts breakdown?

Also, when I had the top tubeunscrewed, I noticed a knurled screw in the top end of the indicatorplunger. What is that for? Are there attachments/accessories thatscrew into the plunger?

If not repairable to a useablecondition, what other uses could it be put to besides a paperweight?

Chuck

Chuck,
During my 30year tenure in the machinist trade, I became interested in Dimensional Metrology, thus ending my trade there. Chinese Instruments may be cheap, but ... they are made cheaply also. The brass gears are extremely soft and the cases are also poor quality. My suggestion, is keep the unit for scavenging parts from, and buy yourself another. Chances are, if you brought the unit in question into a certified Dimensional Metrology Lab, it would cost more to repair it than to replace the unit.
If it were an older Starrett or Mitutoyo, Brown & Sharpe...then yes by all means. Sorry, but that's the nature of the beasts.
toolroom

I concur . . . it's toast, it will never be right again. Use it for parts, or hang it on the wall as a reminder. I had an excellent B&S indicator which I brushed off the mill table with a loose shirt sleeve and the cost to repair it was more than a new one. Costly lesson learned.

The tapped hole in the top of the indicator shaft is to allow the fitting of a lifting lever. Often used when the indicator is used in a production setting to compare parts produced to a standard size.

Paul.

Latest posts

Back