Dial caliper battery question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cedge said:
MB

I don't think I've ever seen an invisible rubber tree.....(grin)

Steve

Me neither! I think its just an excuse to collect "valuable" items... (grin)

I've had much better luck with battery life using the name brand silver oxide versions, but at that price, I'd possibly be tempted give the Alkaline a shot... even if they might need changing a bit more often.

Steve

I replace the two A76 batteries in my Micronta LCD digital pocket multimeter twice a year. I forget to shut it off. These are the same as the LR44 in my dial calipers!

I have 100 batteries coming my way!

"Honey" just placed the order and said: You don't have to pay me back, but can you PLEASE stop talking about those dam batteries, your driving me nuts!

There's a method to my madness ;D

-MB

applescotty said:
Perhaps 'here' is 'where I come from', and not HMEM.
Scott

Scott thanks for the correct interpretation. :bow: :bow:

Arnold,

smiley-signs139.gif

My apologies for my misinterpretation.

Best Regards
Bob

Cedge said:
MB
It was more like self defense. I had about 12 digital devices in play if you counted all the DRO scales, calipers, mics and depth gauges. A fresh battery change on all of them could break the bank at retail...(grin). The little DRO on my Mill's quill is a veritable glutton that seems to like to snack between meals. At 50 cents apiece, I bought 50 for $25.00.

I don't think I've ever seen an invisible rubber tree.....(grin)

Steve
For the DRO scales you can "hardwire" a AA cell next to the scale itself (shrink sleeve and 2 wires) and you will have "juice" for life. For the "portable" ones, I use Duracell and it lasts. Those cheap cells are just like new printer's ink cartridges, they come almost empty so you spend big bucks on an early recharge, usually mor expensive then the printer itself. :big: :big:

steamdave said:
If you deep enough pockets. £130, or thereabouts in the UK for a Mitutoyo set.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Those are real nice! Unfortunately I have shallow pockets. I found them for $215 USD. That compared to the $15 USD for an import is a serious difference in price. Until a similar low priced solar import comes along our best bet for quick and rough measurements is still the battery powered LCD caliper.

There are also a few other good reasons to stay within our budgets. In a two year period I have totally destroyed three calipers. A mitutoyo dial caliper was swarfed to death and then my less than professional disassembley didn't seem to help. The second set an import dial caliper got hammered by a ball pien that walked off its perch. The third dial caliper couldn't handle the working conditions and committed suicide by jumping off the work bench. The last one surprised me a bit since its previous encounters with the concrete floor were uneventful.
Also, I have developed a good time saving habit that only a low cost non dial LCD import will tolerate. Rather than walking the calipers back to the bench I simply lob them back with an under hand motion. I'M pretty good at it , only missed the bench once! Kinda like playing horseshoes.

Below are two very nice calipers that I SHOULD NOT consider buying.

http://mro2go.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=575500463
http://mro2go.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=575500464

-MB

Latest posts

Back