Dealers/sources of bar stock

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enginebob

Reaction score
Hey I told you I was a newbie! ;D ;) :) Well are there any catalogs or such that you order bar-stock out of or do you find it else where. I am trying to get an education on metals and tools so I can do my first project soon.
EB

Hi Enginebob,

Lots of guys have put metal suppliers in the links section. There is a post going on right now about suppliers at the top. I find that lots of times, a supplier that is good for one person that has had good results with and another person may have trouble with them. Make sure you say your location as people here are from all over the world. Who you order from may be half way around the world. Meaning your supplies could be sent by a very slow boat. :)

Kenny

When I buy "new" metal stock, I get it from Online Metals, since they are only one state away from me, in the western USA. In the east, you might want to try Metal Express. Finding a supplier near you helps, since you're ordering heavy stuff, and freight adds up.

Most of the round and hex stock I use comes from a screw machine shop about 50 miles away from me. If you can find one in your area, it could supply most of what you need at scrap prices. Screw machines can't chuck up the last six inches or so of stock, so it ends up in the recycle bin. The place I visit usually has tons of it in barrels.

There are some sellers on ebay, too, who sell cut offs, and will ship in Post Office flat rate boxes, so from some of them you can get 20-50 pounds of scrap and the shipping will only be $10-12.

Dean

Back