D R O

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave,

I gave this guy a good dose of looking at a couple of months ago, and even contacted him. The reports back and the impression he gave me were not too favourable. In fact he was chopping and changing prices each time I contacted him, as though he was desperate to make a sale.
I asked him if he had scales to fit my compound slide, next time I visited his site he had a picture of a lashed up scale, mounted with blutack, to show that he did scales for topslides.
He might be totally genuine, just a bit naive.

You pays your money, you takes your chance.

I have eventually gone for these people.

http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/

A better setup altogether, and by the time I added the expected import duty to the far eastern one, they came out at basically the same price, and they are within easy striking distance if anything untowards happens.

Doesn't help you much from your part of the world, but it might help the UK members that are going down this route.

If I was you, I would try to buy in the States, by looking round (I found a load of suppliers in the states) you should be able to match the price he is offering a system at. Plus you have the advantage you can personally take your baseball bat along if you need to complain.

John

Hi John
Thanks for the insight on this I did some more research and went with Dropros in California. Called they answered my questions and the deal is only 150$ more. And like you said if I need to I can pack a ball bat and pay them a visit :).
Dave

Hi all
Well I am going to give a big thumbs up on DROPRO"S in so ca I bought the basic 599$ 2 axis mill kit. Wife bought it for me for fathers day. Paid for it on Thursday night it was here on Monday (fast shipping) got home from work and unpacked it. Looking it over vary carfully heavy and large display head nice feeling button contacts on the head, bright led reading's brackets just nice but vary workable. scales vary heavy with nice stainless filler bar. Tec support vary good called once after the sale got a recording :eek: figured the worst did not leave a message 10 minnits latter the phone rings it Todd from dropro's saw caller ID answered all questions without hesitation and even told me if I were to mess up a scale they would send me a new one. If you are looking for a dro look hard look all over and then look at dropro's.
http://dropros.com/
Dave

I have a 3 axis from them on my bridgeport and love it. The only trouble I had was making the mounting brackets fit but they can't make universal brackets that fit all mills. Very good to deal with. Before I ordered I called up and asked some questions. They answered all my questions and delivered as advertised. That is a big thumbs up from me!

Dave & Jadecy,

It is always good when someone gives feedback like yours, even if it is bad news, because the members can then make better judgements, instead of poking about in the dark, and maybe wasting a good deal of cash.

If you have had good or bad dealings, why not share it. Let the members know.

John

Jadecy& John

Hi I finished the install on my DRO Yesterday did some needed clean up today and decided to make the cold cap for my sterling engine. After squaring the block and laying out some lines I was anxious to turn on the unit and make some chips. What a difference I did all the mill work on the cold cap in at least half the time. Wile I was cleaning up the part I was thinking that it may have taken some of the fun out of doing it the hard way. You know like not getting the math right and not figuring the cutter size and scraping the part that kind of fun stuff. ??? Just kidding what a difference a DRO makes !!!
Dave

Next time you have to make the same part multiple times try out the subdatum feature. I don't think my mill would get much use without the DRO.

I used mine on Friday to locate points on an oil pump (motorcycle part) so I could create a CADD drawing. No fumbling with micrometers and dial calipers. I just mounted it in the vise and used my trusty edge finder/center finder (ie. wiggler) and I was done in a jiffy. Made my drafting in CADD much easier and very accurate.

Latest posts

Back