• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Craftsman 109-E-Bay

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy Tin,
Boy, that was a blast from the past. My father had one of those lathes. Running that little lathes was my introduction into the machinist trade. Let's see, about 62 years ago. WOW !!!
Thank you for the trip down memory lane..
Larry

Hi Tin Falcon being a pom from Australia i dont understand your comments
Are the lathes no good,or overpriced.To my mind it looks like a nice little lathe
for $3-400 Bazmak

Well BAZ : No good and overpriced are in the eye of the beholder. I started this thread as a point of interest . these machines will make fine parts if you take your time. and like any other lathe value depends greatly on condition and included tooling.
these are not the easiest lathes to use as there is no graduations on the dials and there is a bit of a learning curve to them. They were the affordable value priced hobby lathe of the 1960s before the unimat in the 70s and the x-2 of current times.

Folks seem to either have fond memories and feelings towards these lahtes or refer to them as boat anchors.
Tin

and maybe this is the real point of posting this stuff:
Howdy Tin,
Boy, that was a blast from the past. My father had one of those lathes. Running that little lathes was my introduction into the machinist trade. Let's see, about 62 years ago. WOW !!!
Thank you for the trip down memory lane..
Larry

Another reason I posted was for folks to see them on e-Bay . buy one sell one whatever . somone may want one for an affordable piece of history.Or use it for living history.
Tin

Thanks for your comments Tin.I have never seen one of these lathes,but if i ever get the chance to buy one i probably would
It looks like a nice project for a restore/mods.Surely the bad points can easily be overcome/improved.I think i would enjoy it
Bazmak

Fond memories, indeed. Thanks Tin!

My first metal lathe was one of these. Used it for a few years about the time I graduated HS and before I bought my 10" Atlas. It's hard to believe that was over 25 years ago.

The little Craftsman was frustrating and had a weak spindle. One of the reasons I let it go was that the spindle was bent and ran out noticably about 3" from the chuck. To the tool auction it went.

Of the smaller lathes, I much prefer the 6" Atlas and would buy one now if I had the chance (and the $$).

It got me started and caused an incurable disease - ME Fever.

Thanks again,
Todd.

Back