Copper tube question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cessna

Reaction score
Hi, I have purchased type L tubing for my boiler, do I need the same grade for the lines to and from the cylinders? It is a vertical 5" boiler with twin cylinders, the lines call for 3/16" and 1/4" copper running at 95 to 100 psi.
Thanks
Terry ???

Terry

Can't help with your question, but I'll ask one or two... this is for the Donkey engine? And, did you source this somewhere
here in Canada?

thanks, Joe

Yes it is for the Donkey engine by Harris. Not sure what your asking re source.
Terry

Hi Terry

source = where did you get the stuff ;D

The local plumbing supplier is happy to get me some as long as I want 20',
I would have to rob several banks....

cheers, Joe

3/16" or even 1/4" hard copper is not common. In soft copper I think the equivalent of Type L is Type K. That said, I don't think you would have a problem with common soft copper tubing in that small size. It is regularly used on air conditioning systems at 250 - 300 PSI.

While working in an instrument shop, an apprentice used 1/4" soft copper tubing on the dead weight tester (instead of steel) and had calibrated several 3000 PSI controllers before somebody noticed.

cessna said:
I have purchased type L tubing for my boiler, do I need the same grade for the lines to and from the cylinders?
Terry,
I don't recall how its wall thickness compares with standard copper tube "type" but common ACR (refrigeration) tubing. either hard (straight) or soft (coiled) will be more than adequate.

Terry,
Check Mcmaster & Carr. They have both sizes. I checked 3/16" and there is a choice of 1000-2000 PSI and 2000 -3000 PSI so the wall thickness is usually chosen for threads or no threads.

Dan

Thank you for the replies, the type L I purchased for the boiler ( 5/8 ) I bought from the local Home Hardware, they will cut what ever length you need.
Terry

Latest posts

Back