condensers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodue

Project of the Month Winner!
Reaction score
The old type condensers use on vehicles before solid state are fairly pricey
I sure some one has used the ceramic that can be purchasced from Radio Shack. I have exhasted most of the old ones that I had, and now I need something in there place

Rodue,

Gotta watch your voltage rating. Electronic capacitors (condensers) are often rated much lower than the "fly-back" voltage you might see when points break on even a 6 volt system.

Perhaps "fly-back" is not the right terminology? Point is that the voltage spike on the break in a Kettering ignition circuit is far in excess of the system voltage feeding the coil. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think that automotive (and small engine) condensers are of the "aluminum foil and paper" type of electrolytic capacitor, with a voltage rating in excess of 250 V.

DJD

Rodue,

Gotta watch your voltage rating. Electronic capacitors (condensers) are often rated much lower than the "fly-back" voltage you might see when points break on even a 6 volt system.

Perhaps "fly-back" is not the right terminology? Point is that the voltage spike on the break in a Kettering ignition circuit is far in excess of the system voltage feeding the coil. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think that automotive (and small engine) condensers are of the "aluminum foil and paper" type of electrolytic capacitor, with a voltage rating in excess of 250 V.

DJD
Quite correct, almost. I agree entirely about the voltage ratings but I admit to not knowing exactly what they should be for ignition use. However they are not electrolytic type as that type of capacitor is polarity sensitive and cannot have reversed voltage applied to it.

As far as the original question, can you not buy replacement types from any auto spares place?
Ian.

Sorry, I just re-read the bit about getting pricey!

Do an online search for Rock Auto Parts. I went there and for example looked up a 1967 Ford with a 390 engine and the condensers ran anywhere from $2.00 to $6.00.
gbritnell

Thanks, for the help I found about 15 of various sizes on a close out on E-Bay and now I have a life time supply.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back