Computer Question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack.39

Reaction score
I pretty much can't view videos off the internet. I have a 56kb/sec modem, which seems to run at about 25kb/sec most of the time. In downloading a video or program software, it seems to go no faster than 3 or 4kb/sec, 1/8 the speed of usual internet stuff.

Can anyone explain this? Is this normal with typical dial-up internet service? Can I do anything to make this better, short of changing to DSL or some other high-speed? (none is available here).

Thanks! jack

That's pretty much the same situation I have, except mine usually runs around 31.2. Unless a vid is very short I don't even try these days. Hopefully, for me, that will change sometime in the next week or so.

tel said:
That's pretty much the same situation I have, except mine usually runs around 31.2. Unless a vid is very short I don't even try these days. Hopefully, for me, that will change sometime in the next week or so.

Please, please! You have some secret fix about to be applied in a week?
I buy secrets!

jack

I think his secret is he's getting DSL or cable :D

There's really nothing you can do to speed up a dialup connection. Since you say DSL/cable is not available in your area, you might check into a satellite-based net connection. Used to be a spinoff of DirecTv would give you very quick download speeds via satellite, but upload speed was/is limited by your dialup connection.

Mike

ChooChooMike said:
I think his secret is he's getting DSL or cable :D

There's really nothing you can do to speed up a dialup connection. Since you say DSL/cable is not available in your area, you might check into a satellite-based net connection. Used to be a spinoff of DirecTv would give you very quick download speeds via satellite, but upload speed was/is limited by your dialup connection.

Mike

Thank you for that! I did not know upload/download speeds were not alike with satellite. Looked into, HughesNet says "108kb/s to 1mb/s speed, but only guarantee 108 minimum; cost at least 5 times monthly fee vs. dial-up, for 4X faster- they must think I'm a pretty much backwoods A H, (they are right). jack

Latest posts

Back