Compression meter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadora

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi engine addicted

On the market i have found small and cheap digital pressure meter
specific for checking car tyre pressure .
This device automatically put to the internal memory the highest pressure
value what is needed due to pulsing pressure in cylinder.
To smooth pressure pulses more /for exact measurement/
is good to connect bicycle valve to the old glow plug.
Using is easy - screw modify glow plug to the cylinder , connect it with
rubber tube to the digital meter and turn crankshaft few times.
Pictures say more than my terrible description.

2015-03-22-1186.jpg

2015-03-22-1188.jpg

2015-03-22-1184.jpg

Hi Kadora,
When using a compression meter/gauge on small engines it's necessary to have a check valve as close to the tip as possible otherwise you are reading the displacement of the engine plus the displacement of the hose leading up to the meter.
gbritnell

This device measure compression pressure
not displacement.
Compression pressure in cylinder show you how valves and piston seals in combustion chamber.

But you have the same swept volume being compressed into a larger volume (with the air volume in the hose and guage) so the resulting pressure will be lower than it should be. In a full size engine this small extra bit of volume is negligible but for very small displacement engines like ours it has a huge effect on the reading.

I guess you could disregard it, but it seems if you are going to all the trouble of checking the compression with a guage then you'd want it to be as accurate as possible. I guess if you were just comparing 2 or more cylinders then the actual reading may not be needed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back