Compound dial - not zero settable, is that ok

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedyb

Reaction score
My Enco's compound dial does not have the feature of being Zero-settable, and so as a newbie,
I have to ask:
Is that going to present a problem ? (other than requiring to read in-between marks, lol.)

thanks kindly

speedyb said:
My Enco's compound dial does not have the feature of being Zero-settable, and so as a newbie,

That would seem unusual - are you sure you haven't missed something - my cheepo's dials are held with grubscrews.

If they really aren't settable, I think you've found your first project.

Ken

it is strange...no grub screw seen from outside. have loosened the collar next to the dial, no change except for lots of backlash.

it has a pin in the shaft that fits a keyway in the dial.
I removed the pin. adjusted for 5 or so thou backlash, and I can move the dial although not easily.

not sure how to fix it the best way. perhaps:

open the bore of the dial.
install a bushing so the external nut can adjust the backlash.
install a grub screw in the dial so it can bump the bushing.

comments or other ideas ?

would a wave washer work ?

My 1st lathe, a BV20, did not have adjustable dials anywhere, i.e. saddle, cross slide and compound slide. Once I became used to it, it did not seem like much of a problem. Mostly just a pencil stroke away with arithmetic.

Of course having adjustable dials makes life easier but by how much is a matter for each individual.

Best Regards
Bob

The Myford doesn't have them either - not a problem, just keeps your mental arithmetic well lubricated.

The Myford ML7 is possibly the most prolific lathe used by model engineers , certainly here in the UK , and guess what ?

All you have to worry about Speedy is that if you have to take the tool off the cut, always wind back at least one full turn, preferably two, before going back to your previous setting.

If you don't, then the backlash in your leadscrew (and we've all got some) will bite you on your bum.
If possible, whilst doing a job, only turn forwards (or backwards, depending on the job), then you know the backlash won't be causing you problems, and this goes for ALL standard leadscrews on ALL machines you have.

A notebook and pencil by the machine saves having to have resettable dials.

John

My first lathe didn't have adjustable dials

When ever I backed out of a cut whichever dial, I instinctively bring the dial to rest on the exact same reading a turn or two out from the cut.

I had to learn to do this 'cause I invariably put the notebook and pencil on top of the fourth dimension portal - :big: - by the time I found the pencil again - What was that dial reading ???

Never mind I'll mic it again - Ahaaaaaaagh! there's the pencil :wall:

Does that sound familiar or is that just me ;D

Bez

My 12" X 36" import lathe I purchased in 1988 which is the same lathe as the ENCO lathe is also without adjustable dials. As a few others have noted it's really no big deal. I use dial indicators instead of the dials anyway. Using dial indicators is far superior than the compound dials used on these import lathes. A DRO would serve the same purpose but at much higher cost.

indeed, have used a pencil on the dial itself :) and our "freind" Mr. Backlash, well yes one does have to come to terms with that!

I certainly have a few DRO websites bookmarked, oh you know how that is.
Yesterday I picked up an inexpensive dial type caliper with intentions of mounting on the tailstock, and a carriage stop/mike is on my project/want list.
:-* <- added cause it kept staring at me and getting my attention. ;D

Latest posts

Back