colchester chipmaster

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird

Reaction score
Hi

A mate of mine has the chance to buy a colchester chipmaster. Unfortunately its 3 phase. Has anybody done a conversion or know if an inverter is possible to fit.

cheers

Rich

I have not done it but there has been discussion of variable frequency drives . it is quite doable IIRC can be done for about $100 to $150 USD.
Tin

Rich
This is the piece of kit I got 6 years ago it runs Colchester student & Bridgeport mill by swapping red plug it needs 240V 20 Amp supply & will run 5.5 hp, 4Kw it is the box & the motor seen below & to the right. All it needed was the box connecting to the motor & connecting to supply ran first time & has been no problem since. contact details below no connection with company other than purchasing unit
Steve Haydock
Phase converter manufacturer
230 Hoghton Lane
Hoghton
Nr Preston
Lancs
PR5 OJH
T 01254 852950
[email protected]

PA230606.JPG

Hi

Thankyou all for the info. It has been passed to my mate.

Cheers

Rich

If its any help my mate runs a chipmaster using a single phase 3hp motor fitted , and turns out great work .

I've got a Chipmaster I run off single phase 240 V via a 5-HP VFD. I think the motor is rated 3 HP. I have 60-Hz power, but the VFD is set to 50-Hz so the variator handwheel reads correctly (though I've never checked the handwheel indicator for accuracy). I had to add a braking resistor to avoid over-voltage faults when decelerating from high speeds. I've run the Chippie this way for over a decade, with no problems. It's nice to be able to dial the spindle speed way down using the VFD, such as when winding springs, but most of the time the VFD just chugs along at 50 Hz, and I change speeds with the variator.

Latest posts

Back