Coffee Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldmechthings

Reaction score
Here is another Stirling Cycle engine put together of my own design. Perhaps a better name for it would have been a trash can engine, because that is where almost every part for it came from.
As you can see the stove and the water jacket are coffee cans. Out of sight is the displacer cylinder which is an empty one pound propane cylinder. The displacer is an aluminum pop can, the top packing gland was once a cutting torch tip. The power cylinder is part of an automotive shock absorber. The flywheels are nails with ball bearings attached to the heads. The crank bearings are out of some kind of office equipment. Even the wood was discarded scraps. About the only lathe machined part was the brass piston.

scan0011.jpg

The sign or plaque was printed up as a gag for the first showing, but it has attracted so much attention, that it stayed with the engine. People are always coming up and telling me that they run on the same stuff. I had no idea that there were so many people that ran on caffeine. The government should launch a study. Perhaps caffeine is the answer to our energy problems.
Then there are those people who are plain stupid, and don't understand a joke, and think it actually runs on caffeine. With that kind I never pass an opportunity to give a detailed fictitious explanation of the reaction going on inside the engine. They go away feeling like they have really learned something and I have a good chuckle.
When I first built the engine I ran it on Sterno, which is quite expensive, and so often I'd open up a new can and it would all be evaporated. Then I learned I could stuff the can with fiber type insulation and soak it with denatured alcohol. With the can completely open it was too hot, but using a lid with about a 3/4" hole it was just right and worked beautiful.
Till next time
Birk

Hi Birk

Good choice of coffee! I wish i could buy it here in the uk. I like the frames on the engine.

had you thought about a tank fed spirit burner like the one i made up for my traction engine.
puts out a lot of heat and with a valve its semi controlable. Mine cost bugger all to make past a bit of brass tube and some silver solder.

Cheers kevin

Kevin
Yes I have used a tank fed spirit burner, and it works very well. If you go back to my very first post just a couple weeks ago and look at the BBQ engine. There are so many ways to build a fire, it is hard to try and get around to all of them. Do not take me wrong, I very much appreciate your input and interest.
Birk

HI Birk
I must admit I dont see all the posts on here too many to keep up with. Il hunt down the BBQ engine post.
I was very impressed with the kitchen tools for your better half. Im very tempted to make some for my better half Jackie my.
Another source of good burners is the wicks from greenhouse heaters. There designed to burn paraffin but do a real treat for meths. We run our gauge 1 locos using meth and the wicks from heaters.

Cheers Kevin

I don't know why, but I love these funky engines. That nut engine was really cool too!

Best,

BW

When I was down to visit him He ran this engine for me. It started and ran good! Great engine, Birk!!!

Wes

Back