Coaxial Centering Indicator Use

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnesrickw

Reaction score
when using a coaxial centering indicator on a mill, do you need to use a spindle lock?

I have never used mine with the mill running. I just turn the spindle by hand. when it is rotating like that how do you tell which direction to adjust it? X or Y?

The biggest problem is the amount of head room required.

I have never used mine with the mill running. I just turn the spindle by hand. when it is rotating like that how do you tell which direction to adjust it? X or Y?

The biggest problem is the amount of head room required.

he does push it with RPM but you turn one handle no effect or it increasse
change Handel
it only take 4 inch

I run the spindle at about 200 rpm. Move one axis until needle movement seems to be at the minimum, then the other the same. If the movement increases go the other direction.

I run mine slow, about 95 rpm I think. I roughly centre it by eye then switch on and watch the needle sweep, then slowly crank one of the handles. If the sweep reduces I keep going til it starts to increase again then switch to the other one and repeat. In less than a minute I can have a round piece indicated to better than 0.01mm (0.4 thou). If I had to rotate by hand I'd stop way before I got that close.

Latest posts

Back