co2 dispensor?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werowance

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am looking for something that i can use those small co2 cans like goes in a pellet pistol to power a small air engine so it would make an office toy or desk toy. ive tried searching for some sort of for lack of better words a gas tank that i could just insert the cartridge into close the door and turn a screw or valve to provide co2 preasure. something that would be small and could be incorporated into the engines stand.

has any one seen any plans or have any ideas about making one from something else? short of me buying a pellet pistol at walmart and cutting it up?

thanks

The engines need so little pressure to freewheel run, a tank in the base connected to a 15psi compressor with 1/8 plastic tube should work fine. I think that those co2 tanks are 800 psi, thats nothing to fool with without reverse engineering, and number crunching.

The aerosol containers are all around 80+/- psi, some of them quite small, the propellant is butane, flammable but the wife uses it daily with fires. just a thought.

That is actually an easy one . These devises have been around for something close to 20 years.
so search the net for
1) CO2 inflator . These are sold at bicycle shops.

2) CO2 load discharcher sold at cabella and other sporing good stores.
Used to clear the load or projectile from a black powder rifle.

3) CO2 drain cleaner used to blow debris from clogged drains and sold at pluming supply stores.

These are essentially the same product the difference is the added hardware adaptors packaging and target market. and of course price. There are several manufacturers and variations on the design.

1) Simple shrader or prestsa valve setup
2) various fittings to adapt to a muzzle loader of various types
3) Hose and rubber cone fitting to fit in sink drain.

If you want to power an air engine you will need a regulator.
IMHO a CO2 engine would be a better choice if your heart is set on CO2 for a power source. Then you need no regulator
Hope this helps

Tin

Don't forget about overloading Your available air with CO2. Sweet dreams while watching Your motor run would not be good.

mcostello : I do not think there is a real need to worry here.

this guy is as far as I know talking standard 12g CO2 cartridges.
so if someone gets very happy and uses 20 of these in an 8 hour office shift (unlikely ) this would be the equivalent CO2 output of a fellow office worker.

Since these cartridges are something like $0. 50 each in bulk I do not see a lot of them being used.
Tin

If you needed more run time they do make larger cylinders for "paint ball guns" , also Miller or Lincoln use a tiny C02 tank for their portable welders.. I think they go up to 20oz , sold empty and could be filled with compressed air if needed.

Latest posts

Back