clip art to CNC engraving

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

Reaction score
Guys - I'm working on a project where I'm going to engrave into aluminum, mostly text. I'm using Rhino 3D, which is saved to a .DXF file. This is them imported into a DXF --> G code utility. Essentially, any 2D lines I can draw (or import) can be engraved.

I can't draw. I'm looking for suggestions on how to turn clip art or images into engravable files.

Rhino can import just about any drawing file EXCEPT TIFF, GIF, JPG, basically most of the things we use for clip art!

Any thoughts?

Master cam has an excellent import function but is of course a full blown cad/ cam , expensive and very cool to engrave with. But if it is a business decision and what you want to do I really like it. I would love to hear more of any users experience with a lower cost alternatives.

Inkscape can convert a picture to vector and save to DXF, good thing is it's free.

John S.

Ive used IMG2CAD before for a few things and once you mess with the settings it works quite well.

Two programmes I like are Algolab PtVector (is a simple programme that converts images to vectors) and Aspire (vectric).

Thanks everybody. I apologize for not responding sooner. There are some really good suggestions here.

This is one of those things where you think "I KNOW it can be done, there must be some easy ways" but it's never as easy as you think! :D

I did a quick google search for raster to vector converters there are a bunch out there all or most have free trial offers. bust the cost of the programs are somewhat hidden .
I remember using corell draw a bunch of years ago IIRC it had a bitmap/raster to vector converter built in.
the current home student relase of corell apears to be about $100 a little cheaper for v 5
Tin

CamBam allows you to draw a surface using an imported bitmap - setting black to a depth of say 0 and white to a depth of say 1 gives a 'digital' surface representation of the bitmap. Taking a plane slice through the surface at 0.5 then produces a 2D version of the bitmap as a CamBam drawing, ready to be machined. Usually needs some work but I have used it a few times. One of the guys on the forum uses it to engrave versions of the QR barcodes.

Regards,
Simon

Back