Cad and animation

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edi,
Regarding your enquiry, the entire layout was based upon the Brazilian southeastern countryside environment and most of the constructions date back to 1920's. I have scaled down my railway from the old HO to Z ( 1:220) scale as being a big challenge to both 3D design and model tiny metal parts as well as machining them. Please refer to some attached images to come across details.

Ron

Attachments

• 01_1.JPG
    01_1.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 298
  • 02--.JPG
    02--.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 289
  • Baldwin - in English.PDF
    149.9 KB · Views: 276
  • wheel set.JPG
    wheel set.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 275
I agree with the ease of learning SolidWorks. I taught myself and my first design was a 1/5th scale EVO engine. If you can get it. Get it!

I've used TurboCAD for years, Fusion for 18months or so, and dabbled with Alibre and Solidworks. In my experience it's just not possible to import 2D drawings into any of them and expect to create 3D without a lot of work.
TurboCAD, being a 2D CAD system with 3D bolted on as an afterthought, requires rather more effort to create 3D models than the other 3 systems, which are designed for 3D from the outset, and have rather similar philosophies.
In my opinion, if you want to enter the realm of 3D CAD and enjoy it's many benefits, you must accept the fact that all CAD programs require a steep learning curve. They are all large and complex and need time and effort gain proficiency in their use. If you decide to take the plunge, then my recommendation would be Fusion - it's very similar to SW and Alibre, and is free for hobbyists.

I've used TurboCAD for years, Fusion for 18months or so, and dabbled with Alibre and Solidworks. In my experience it's just not possible to import 2D drawings into any of them and expect to create 3D without a lot of work.
TurboCAD, being a 2D CAD system with 3D bolted on as an afterthought, requires rather more effort to create 3D models than the other 3 systems, which are designed for 3D from the outset, and have rather similar philosophies.
In my opinion, if you want to enter the realm of 3D CAD and enjoy it's many benefits, you must accept the fact that all CAD programs require a steep learning curve. They are all large and complex and need time and effort gain proficiency in their use. If you decide to take the plunge, then my recommendation would be Fusion - it's very similar to SW and Alibre, and is free for hobbyists.
What problems did you have with importing 2D? I have tried importing one drawing and I believe that the problem is that I cannot define a surface. I assume that there is a break in the profile somewhere but I have no idea how to find it. If I cannot at least reuse the work I have already done it seems like a lot of work for a hobby. I only build at most a few engines a year and mostly I am using my 2D cad (Visual Cadd) to check the original design and help me understand the design. I frequently make 2D drawings as I am going along to check fit etc. Also 2D drawings work well with my Silhouette cutter to make the gaskets.

Gordon

Gordon, I haven’t met a 3D mechanical cad program that didn’t have a provision for importing .DWG or .DXF 2D geometry files into the sketch workspace for extruding into 3D shapes. Did you try exporting your Visual Cadd drawing files to .DWG then importing them into Fusion 360? The 2D geometry must be closed with no gaps or extended lines going past corners by ensuring that all corners are trimmed. Sometimes double lines are an issue. (One line over the other that is not readily apparent.)You should absolutely be able to use your 2D work you have done over the years and not have to start from scratch again.

Sorry, I see from re reading your 1st post that you are using .DXF as the import file format.

Last edited:
Gordon, I haven’t met a 3D mechanical cad program that didn’t have a provision for importing .DWG or .DXF 2D geometry files into the sketch workspace for extruding into 3D shapes. Did you try exporting your Visual Cadd drawing files to .DWG then importing them into Fusion 360? The 2D geometry must be closed with no gaps or extended lines going past corners by ensuring that all corners are trimmed. Sometimes double lines are an issue. (One line over the other that is not readily apparent.)You should absolutely be able to use your 2D work you have done over the years and not have to start from scratch again.

Sorry, I see from re reading your 1st post that you are using .DXF as the import file format.
I am sure that the problem is in having gaps. When I select there are items which will not select as part of the profile. When I go back to my original drawing there are no gaps or overlaps at these points so I am not able to fix them. Importing as a DWG is not one of the options. Seems strange since DWG is an Autocad format and should be acceptable to another program from the same company.

As near as I can determine there is a problem with overlap. Where an arc is meeting an arc both are extended until they meet again. It is like having two 1" dia circles but having their centers .9" apart. they are not touching but are actually intersecting at two points. I have not found a way to correct that or at least find these points so that I can extend only one of the arcs.

What problems did you have with importing 2D? I have tried importing one drawing and I believe that the problem is that I cannot define a surface. I assume that there is a break in the profile somewhere but I have no idea how to find it. If I cannot at least reuse the work I have already done it seems like a lot of work for a hobby. I only build at most a few engines a year and mostly I am using my 2D cad (Visual Cadd) to check the original design and help me understand the design. I frequently make 2D drawings as I am going along to check fit etc. Also 2D drawings work well with my Silhouette cutter to make the gaskets.

Gordon
The problems arise from the need to combine the various orthogonal views into a 3D entity. Extrusions and revolves are simple, and dimensioned 2D profiles make it easy, but more complicated entities, such as a spoked locomotive wheel, for example, are another matter entirely. I get the impression from your original post that you want the 3D program to do that sort of thing automatically. It can't.
Take a look at this thread in the TurboCAD forum - http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,22911.0.html

The problems arise from the need to combine the various orthogonal views into a 3D entity. Extrusions and revolves are simple, and dimensioned 2D profiles make it easy, but more complicated entities, such as a spoked locomotive wheel, for example, are another matter entirely. I get the impression from your original post that you want the 3D program to do that sort of thing automatically. It can't.
Take a look at this thread in the TurboCAD forum - http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,22911.0.html
My goal is to make the various parts, assemble them into proper position and then move them as they would move if the engine were operating. I am not too worried about everything looking like a movie so a spoked flywheel for instance could be represented as a solid disk. I just want to see interference and relative positions of the individual parts at various points in the cycle.

I am gaining on my effort to import DXF into the program and once I get that I will try assembly and then motion. Looks like a long learning curve.

Gordon

You won't be able to import the 2D drawing into Fusion and convert it into 3D directly, but you can utilize the 2D geometry that you drew and copy that into 2d sketches in Fusion and then create a 3D model from it. It's a little bit more work, but defintely faster than creating the parts from scratch in Fusion.

My goal is to make the various parts, assemble them into proper position and then move them as they would move if the engine were operating. I am not too worried about everything looking like a movie so a spoked flywheel for instance could be represented as a solid disk. I just want to see interference and relative positions of the individual parts at various points in the cycle.

I am gaining on my effort to import DXF into the program and once I get that I will try assembly and then motion. Looks like a long learning curve.

Gordon
In that case, the recommendation of using Fusion is certainly justified. Take a look at this tutorial on animation...

You won't be able to import the 2D drawing into Fusion and convert it into 3D directly, but you can utilize the 2D geometry that you drew and copy that into 2d sketches in Fusion and then create a 3D model from it. It's a little bit more work, but defintely faster than creating the parts from scratch in Fusion.
I have been inserting DXF and it shows up but Visual Cadd seems to miss line ends joining by .00005. That is much more precision than I need. I have not found a way to make Visual Cadd use more precision or a way to have Fusion accept that level of imprecise entities or correct the missed items or even find them.

This makes it impossible to extrude a surface which Fusion does not recognize as a surface.

Gordon, I use .DXF and .DWG files to import into not only 3D Cad but Cad Cam as well. If you like, private message me with one of your attached .DXF files and I will take a look at it.

AzBob;
I can not find a place to send a private message. I have done it in the past. Uploading directly to this thread will not allow DXF

Gordon, I believe you click on the profile and select “Start a conversation.”

I am looking for recommendations for CAD and animation. I have been using a 2D CAD program for 20+ years. I use Visual Cadd and started back when it was Generic Cadd. I usually redraw any engine project in CAD before I start so that I understand it and find errors. I have looked at and played around with a couple of 3D programs. Sketchup, 123 Design and Fusion 360 but have never gotten to a point where I was comfortable with them.

At this point I would like to be able to do some basic animation to check operation and clearances. The ideal would be to import a 2D DXF drawing and get the various parts to move in the proper relationship. Needless to say I am not prepared to spend a small fortune on this.

I guess that mostly I am interested in determining which 3D program to concentrate on to actually learn. So far it has mostly been a frustrating experience. A trial does not really mean much because if I spend 30 days learning a program and then have to spend several hundred dollars it is a waste of time to even learn the program.

Perhaps I am expecting the impossible. Any input is appreciated.

Gordon

Sir, I use Cubify Design 2014 from 3DS Systems www.3dsystems.com. I first bought it many years ago as Alibre and then the brand was purchased and rebranded. Lately I understood they came back to the original brand: https://www.alibre.com. In 2016 I had to revalidate the licence and spent 212 USD, so for for me is great value for the money and enough for my skills. The same companies have other more advanced products, eventually a little more expensive, I have no details on that.

As near as I can determine there is a problem with overlap. Where an arc is meeting an arc both are extended until they meet again. It is like having two 1" dia circles but having their centers .9" apart. they are not touching but are actually intersecting at two points. I have not found a way to correct that or at least find these points so that I can extend only one of the arcs.
Is there an option called "snap to grid" like in Alibre/Cubify? When I zoom a lot I find the overlap or gap and displace the line until the cursor changes its symbol.

Is there an option called "snap to grid" like in Alibre/Cubify? When I zoom a lot I find the overlap or gap and displace the line until the cursor changes its symbol.
There is a snap to grid option. That may fix the overlap/gap problem. However it may cause a problem when something like a hole center is not on the grid. I have never used the option but it may be worth a try. Thanks.

Gordon

Latest posts

Back