Clamping my style

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steam4ian

Reaction score
G'day all

Too many boo boos to mention. I just read about Tel silver soldering up cylinders so here's my effort.

Keeping things together during silver soldering is always a challenge. I had an Neitsnie (work it out) when in the cheap shop. Lovely little spring clamps, just "perfect" for holding parts together during silver soldering.

I was soldering a cylinder to a backing/valve face plate all secured by one of these nifty little clamps.

Everthing stayed in place and was duly soldered.

Pulling the object out of the pickle I noticed the the cylinder bore was distinctly oval. the clamp had squashed the brass.

Another sacrifice to the scrap god.

Ian

'appens to the best of us mate, now you know why I use the little pins

CYLINDER#3.JPG

My turn today, just had a battle royale trying to screw a 6BA spindle into a valve nut - in a hole I hadn't threaded yet. :wall:

tel said:
My turn today, just had a battle royale trying to screw a 6BA spindle into a valve nut - in a hole I hadn't threaded yet. :wall:

Sorry but... :big: :big:
That is funny.

Now watch Karma get me back tonight for laughing at your trouble.....

Well, I did see the funny side of it - after I'd given meself a good clout up the side of the 'ead!

If it's going to happen,it will happen to us Aussies. LOL. Rof}

Ian(seagar)

Coffs Harbour
Australia

tmuir said:
Now watch Karma get me back tonight for laughing at your trouble.....

Told you it would get me.

I was making a bush for a boiler.
I started with a brass bar of 7.8mm diameter and I had to turn it down to 6.9mm for the first 4 mm.
I turned it down to exactly 6.9mm but for some reason I forgot what I was doing and started to think my final diameter needed to be 7.8mm and couldn't for the life of me figure out how I missed it by so much.
So I machined the 4mm off to start again and then realised what I had just done. :big:
Atleast it was only 4mm of the bar I wasted and 3 minutes of my time, so no huge loss.

tel said:
Well, I did see the funny side of it - after I'd given meself a good clout up the side of the 'ead!
tel tel tel.... its not like it was a terminal cock up! Like making the hole a couple of sizes too large etc....

In fact I dont think that qualifies as a cock up at all....... personally I think the measure of a 'good' cock up is how much material/time is wasted or sent to the recycle bin.... Tel, apart from a minute or 2, nothing... sorry mate, you'll have to go and wreck something 'proper' now ;D

"My turn today, just had a battle royale trying to screw a 6BA spindle into a valve nut - in a hole I hadn't threaded yet. "

Boy did I need that! :big: :big: :big: Even SWMBO asked what I was giggling at! (The trouble is I have done the same thing in the past!)

tel said:

ha ha ha :big: thats funny sorry but its just too funny :big: Rof} Rof}

Latest posts

Back